mass produced frames are depressing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've had a look at most of these and am drawn to Roberts for steel, mainly because they're in Croydon so not too far from me. Also Justin Burls for titanium, again he's not too far from me and I've also had a couple of chats with him. I'd aim for any high end wheelset to be via Harry Rowland in Kent, I believe he does the wheels for Roberts anyway. For general wheelsets I've been impressed with my handbuilts from Spa Cycles in Harrogate.

The only negative I've seen is around the paint job that Roberts provide - does anyone have any further info on this?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've got a British built Bob Jackoson - lovely frame, I've just got to stop myself buying new bits for it all the time!

There's one I see occasionally locked up near work - beautiful frame.

See an elderly Condor steel track bike from time to time as well.

But my dream bike would definitely be a Mercian.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Another for your list is J F Wilson from Sheffield, still going - http://www.wilsoncycles.co.uk/

I've got a 1978 531c hand-built frame from them which I built up into a rather fine road bike, though I say so myself.

The modern mass produced bikes aren't all bad, lots of the 'big' names make some really good bikes in steel, ti, alu and carbon.

TJ Cycles make the Flying Gate. So they're the same thing.

Pearsons don't make their own frames any more. They do spec good bikes, but sadly don't build frames any more. The frames they do use seem to be the same as the ones Hewitt & Byercycles use. And don't, whatever you do, let Pearson's workshop staff near your bike. Sales staff are helpful and knowledgeable.

Wilsons are one of those institutions that just go on and defy logic. Shops like that closed many years ago, but Wilsons have continued to produce beautiful frames. The owner is a bit of a character.

Orbit sadly don't build frames any more, and it's not clear if they are actually trading at the moment or not. The last few years of their previous existence, they imported frames.

Condor source some of their frames overseas, but I think they do still build some of their steel frames. Not sure.

If you visit Bob Jackson's, I bet you would have ordered a frame before you left.

brodie

Dave Yates
Bob Jackson
TJ Cycles
Flying Gate
Rourke
Orbit
Woodrup
Cotic
On-One
Roberts
Villiers
Nimbus
Wilson
Hewitt

I'm not sure why Orbit, Cotic, Hewitt and On-One are on this list, they're all mass produced frames made in the far east or elsewhere, not that there's anything wrong or depressing about mass produced frames. OK, Orbit might have actually made frames in the past but they don't anymore, otherwise they would say so on their website.

brodie

Condor source some of their frames overseas, but I think they do still build some of their steel frames. Not sure.
Condor are not a framebuilder, they're more of a brand. I would say the vast majority of the frames they sell nowadays are mass produced frames made outside the UK. The do offer custom steel frames but I'm sure they are sub-contracted out to a UK framebuilder.

I'm not sure why Orbit, Cotic, Hewitt and On-One are on this list, they're all mass produced frames made in the far east or elsewhere, not that there's anything wrong or depressing about mass produced frames. OK, Orbit might have actually made frames in the past but they don't anymore, otherwise they would say so on their website.

Orbit definitely did hand build frames in the UK in the past. I've got one. Built in Peartree, Dudley in about 1995. And it is beautiful.

The firm moved to Yorkshire, and I don't think they made any more themselves after that point. as I say, I'm not clear on their current status. They put up a new website, but didn't answer emails, and it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

Domeo

Mercian make really lovely bikes, and I'm sure they build for fixed single.

You can even use their frame builder app to paint the machine of your dreams...

I've got a custom built Mercian that commute into central London pretty much every day for the last 7 years. The frame cost £600 when I got it so god knows how much it would be now, Have no problems with it at all.

The wheelset was built up by Harry Rowland with a Phil Wood rear hub and Son dynohub at the front.

If you a going down this route don't expect any change from £1300-£1400.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've got a custom built Mercian that commute into central London pretty much every day for the last 7 years. The frame cost £600 when I got it so god knows how much it would be now, Have no problems with it at all.

The wheelset was built up by Harry Rowland with a Phil Wood rear hub and Son dynohub at the front.

If you a going down this route don't expect any change from £1300-£1400.

Sounds like a lovely bike. My lotto winner/dream bike would be something along those lines.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Feather make some fantastic looking bikes http://feathercycles.blogspot.com/
Wow, this one is just gorgeous!
SHOT-003.jpg

Top Bottom