Mate quits cycling :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just caught this thread.

I dislike much of the Strava attitude of pseudo-competitiveness and narcissism.

I dislike the Zwift/Peleton attitude that compares indoor cycling to real cycling. It does use similar muscle groups but it is as much like real cycling as using a blow-up doll for sex is like making love to a real person (or so I've been told :whistle:).

Having said that, I have no problems with cyclists, or sex addicts, using the equipment if they like it and it helps them, as long as I don't have to. And it does not affect me or my enjoyment of cycling one iota.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Just caught this thread.

I dislike much of the Strava attitude of pseudo-competitiveness and narcissism.

I dislike the Zwift/Peleton attitude that compares indoor cycling to real cycling. It does use similar muscle groups but it is as much like real cycling as using a blow-up doll for sex is like making love to a real person (or so I've been told :whistle:).

Having said that, I have no problems with cyclists, or sex addicts, using the equipment if they like it and it helps them, as long as I don't have to. And it does not affect me or my enjoyment of cycling one iota.
With the Sex doll I can use ERG mode but with a real person I can’t control the watts properly or the session time.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well, just to get deep and meaningful for a moment - isn't Strava part of the same trend as Farcebook and Twatter and all the other social media in that it allows you to massage your and other people's egos and can be used to project the image you want others to see? In that respect it's just another part of the trend to emotional incontinence that is being foisted upon us as somehow "normal"?
It depends how you use it. I dont compete with anybody. But it logs the routes and photos I take. I can download other people's rides and ride them in other parts of europe.

Its a really useful tool for touring or training but its not essential.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That's a bit harsh, Steve. The guy has lost his mojo a bit and deserves our encouragement not our contempt.
You may be right, It could be a bit harsh. But on all he has to do is stop using strava. Its not Strava that is ruining cycling for him. Its ths people he rides with. How can you blame an inanimate object for ruining cycling?

gbb

Legendary Member
IMO it's not Stava per se, it's the perhaps Inevitable point you reach when hammering yourself becomes not enjoyable.
Theres nothing wrong with hammering yourself, I used to do it, long rides, fast rides, push push push up hills, sweat like a pig...and I was grinning while I was doing it. Nothing wrong with that IF that's what you need or want.
But it wont always be what you need or want.
After an 82 mile ride one day, one I thoroughly enjoyed and probably averaged 16 mph, not bad if I say so myself....I suddenly lost the desire to put myself out there for hours on end...and that was it, I sat back, did 20 to 30 miles for the most part I stead of the standard 50 milers, knocked a mph off the average and all of a sudden refound the enjoyment.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
What's this Strava thing you're on about? Is it any good?

Jimidh

Veteran
Interesting he lost his mojo after shoulder surgery - maybe he just started thinking about his own fragility and other responsibilities outside cycling and these were more important.

I totally lost my love of MTBing for a few years after a particularly nasty fall, I was very lucky and bounced and only had severe bruising, it took me a good couple of years to gain my confidence again. This was in part I think to suddenly thinking about the consequences of a bad fall rather than the actual event as every mountain biker comes off now and again.

As for Strava personally I like it but again i’m able to go out for a ride one day and absolutely go for every segment flat out, i’ve Got live segments switched on, or like last night just go for an easy ride and stop and take pictures and chat to a friend I met whilst out.

If people can’t enjoy their rides due to Strava the problem isn’t with Strava but the rider.

gbb

Legendary Member

If people can’t enjoy their rides due to Strava the problem isn’t with Strava but the rider.

Ive never used Strava but certainly used to compete with myself and as said in my previous post, the sentiment is the same, there's nothing wrong with Strava or hammering yourself...if thats what you want, and plenty do.
When the time comes and you don't enjoy it anymore, that's not Stavas fault, you simply need to move on and away from it.

JPBoothy

Veteran
As you have all implied with your wise comments, it is really just a mind game that only you (or your mate) can control. I added a similar thread not long ago about just wanting to be seen as "a bloke with a bike" rather than being labelled as a "cyclist" which seems to be like a red rag to a bull to the 'anti-everything that they don't do' brigade. However, upon reflection, I can see that a few of my own comments may have sounded a little bitter really and, I have now realised that a lot of what I said at the time may have been down to the fact that my age had sneaked past that great half a century milestone when you start to grumble about things without realising you're doing it. On the plus side, I now realise that I am old enough to officially not give a $&*# about what others think about what I do/go/wear/ride/read/watcb or listen-to.. To be honest, I actually get a kick out of attracting the odd sneer :rofl:

Top Bottom