Mate quits cycling :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He could just not use Strava? That's like a junkie giving up driving as he tries to kick the habit, for no other reason that he drives to his dealer.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Strava can be motivating and disheartening at the same time! Lol. I still enjoy the motivation of doing the odd distance or climbing challenge, and it makes me feel good seeing the elevation profile and map of a tough ride.

As far as slipping down the segment tables, I drop further down regularly now, especially as more riders start using Strava, but if I actually check times of riders in my age group, I am still not too bad, so it's all relevant. We can't go on comparing ourselves to others who are younger/fitter or even to our younger selves. Just be happy we are still getting out there.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed Mr Indenmark. I only use strava tommee what my chums have been up to. If they put in a great ride or a fast time then im genuinely happy for them. I don't feel the slightest urge to compete against either them or myself.

There's a psychological weakness at play here.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have a list of reasons that running is better than cycling but also a list of why cycling is better than running. Essentially, I'm a runner who's moved more and more to cycling due to encroaching injuries making it more difficult to run.

Here's my (not comprehensive) list.

Running is better than cycling because
It's much, much cheaper. If you can run barefoot (think Zola Budd/Ron Hill et al) then it is totally free.
Bugger all time needed for preparation. Walk out of the door and run.
Weather is (usually) no problem at all.
Camaraderie amongst runners (no boasting about gears/equipment/ratios/cadence etc etc etc)
You're less likely to be hit by a vehicle or get into a fight/argument with a Daily Heil knobber.
Duration of run. You can do the whole run in less time than it takes to get ready for your bike ride.
Less maintenance. A few stretches, and out you go, no degreasing/re-greasing gears, checking brake pads etc etc etc.
Cheaper entry fee for events.

Cycling is better than running because
The bikes are so, so beautiful.
You can ride much further than you can run (mostly).
You can eat while riding or right up to wheel on tarmac; none of that 3 hour gap needed to run without a stitch/indigestion/chucking up.
Fewer injuries as there's no joint-destroying pavement pounding - that's why you see more older cyclists than older runners.
Although running is essentially free and cycle shoes are expensive, bike shoes work out much cheaper than running shoes because they last much longer.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well, just to get deep and meaningful for a moment - isn't Strava part of the same trend as Farcebook and Twatter and all the other social media in that it allows you to massage your and other people's egos and can be used to project the image you want others to see? In that respect it's just another part of the trend to emotional incontinence that is being foisted upon us as somehow "normal"?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strava is quite useful for monitoring your own fitness, and a bit of fun. Zwift is a useful training aid (I have it) but it's still sat in front of a screen, and I'd rather be out.

If you have an 'addictive' personality, then Strava and Zwift (and similar) are possibly best avoided. Same goes with those that have to have the latest kit - it's an addiction.

So long as the bike is good enough, and reliable enough to do what you need, it's fine. Super expensive bikes are super expensive to maintain. £300 cassettes - erm no thanks - £60 is bad enough for a consumable.

We've got another MTB CC Wales visit coming up in October, if you fancy seeing what 'fun' and friendship (new and old friends) is about.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, just to get deep and meaningful for a moment - isn't Strava part of the same trend as Farcebook and Twatter and all the other social media in that it allows you to massage your and other people's egos and can be used to project the image you want others to see? In that respect it's just another part of the trend to emotional incontinence that is being foisted upon us as somehow "normal"?

You are correct. I have a mate that rides loads (60km at least every day) which keeps his depression in check, but he's all over facebook, instagram and strava with his ride pictures. Just get on and ride, and just let the Garmin upload the ride.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Emotional incontinence, everything that's wrong with the modern world in 2 words.

Top Bottom