Mates rates for bike tinkering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have a friend who I used to work with who always took care of my bikes, then he left but still did the odd bit of tinkering for me. Now he's set up as a bike mechanic working for himself and he came round earlier to get a couple of bikes ship shape.
He did a gear and brake adjust on one, fixed my chain and tightened things up in general on the other, then he tightened the brakes on my daughters bmx, but if she asks he totally fixed it! ;-)
When I asked what I owed him he was all " whatever" and I couldn't push him for his going rate. I got his bank details and a "whatever you think" but I don't want to insult him by paying too little. On the other hand I don't want to pay more than I need.
I've always just bought him a drink - but he's gone " dry" and he's never been self employed before.
So, give me a ball park figure :-)

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a friend who I used to work with who always took care of my bikes, then he left but still did the odd bit of tinkering for me. Now he's set up as a bike mechanic working for himself and he came round earlier to get a couple of bikes ship shape.
He did a gear and brake adjust on one, fixed my chain and tightened things up in general on the other, then he tightened the brakes on my daughters bmx, but if she asks he totally fixed it! ;-)
When I asked what I owed him he was all " whatever" and I couldn't push him for his going rate. I got his bank details and a "whatever you think" but I don't want to insult him by paying too little. On the other hand I don't want to pay more than I need.
I've always just bought him a drink - but he's gone " dry" and he's never been self employed before.
So, give me a ball park figure :-)

How long was he there, what we're traveling times?

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
It's a 15min cycle each way, he was here a couple of hours, but there was a lot of playing with the dog time,and I made him a coffee :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the value to you of the work he did? How much would you like to be paid for what he did and how much time he spent?

stephec

Legendary Member
Get a mate to ring him up and ask for a quote for work similar to what he did for you.

That should give you an idea of the true cost.

Levo-Lon

Guru
30 quid would be fine..a drink is 20.

i once did a job for a guy at the pub..2 hrs and said oh just give me a drink mate,,,cheeky fooker gave me £2.50..lol it was in the 90's but i told him to keep it..

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
What's the value to you of the work he did? How much would you like to be paid for what he did and how much time he spent?
Personally,its the sort of thing I'd do for free. I never take money off friends.
But I accept that's not the way to run a business.
I wouldn't ordinarily pay for bike servicing, I can get it done free at work, but I always preferred him to do it.
In theory I can do the work myself, but I'm lazy, and I prefer someone else to do it so I know it's right. But I wouldn't ever pay a lbs.

mustang1

Legendary Member
A long time ago someone done me a favour I asked what I owed and he said just sort him out with a good drink. Not knowing any better, when he came round to collect his 'good drink's, I gave him a can of coke as we hung around chatting. I asked if he wanted another coke and he said no. So that was that.

I think he was waiting for me to give him some money but I never did; I didn't know a "good drink" meant "to give money".

To this day if someone tells me to give them a drink, I'd still give them a can of coke. Unless they give me a figure, I don't give any money.

I also never get mates to do anything for me. Or family. EVER. I suppose this post doesn't help you at all.Maybe

you can go to a chain bike shop, find out how much the work costs then pay two-thirds of that to your mate, minus an additional 10% for your time to try and find out what you're supposed to pay, rounded up to the nearest £5.

Top Bottom