Matte Paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Don't use furniture polish on CF frames. It contains methyl-acrylate, which is the specific solvent used for melting the raw material in the manufacture of the fibre thread. It's the chemical equivalent of waxing your car with Nitromors.

Feck...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't use furniture polish on CF frames. It contains methyl-acrylate, which is the specific solvent used for melting the raw material in the manufacture of the fibre thread. It's the chemical equivalent of waxing your car with Nitromors.

Do you mean methyl methacrylate? I don't think there's any of that in a can of Mr Sheen and my local bike builder, one Paul Hewitt, uses Mr Sheen to shine up new bikes he's just built before customers take them away. The furniture polish I use is an emulsion of water with hydrocarbons and some wax and perfume.

Let's hope no journalists are reading this thread, I can see the headline now: "It's official: furniture polish dissolves bicycles!"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you mean methyl methacrylate? I don't think there's any of that in a can of Mr Sheen and my local bike builder, one Paul Hewitt, uses Mr Sheen to shine up new bikes he's just built before customers take them away. The furniture polish I use is an emulsion of water with hydrocarbons and some wax and perfume.

Let's hope no journalists are reading this thread, I can see the headline now: "It's official: furniture polish dissolves bicycles!"
As well as rain? :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
I wouldn't...

If you've gone to the effort and expense of getting a carbon frame then why be a cheapskate when it comes to caring for it? It's like putting remolds on your Bentley.

My old Roller used to have them on when I bought it, radial as well. Used to corner like a puppy on a lead as JC would say.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been using Mr Sheen on my carbon bikes for about five years and so far I haven't noticed them dissolving or anything. The carbon threads are encapsulated inside the resin anyway so pretty well protected from rain or polish.

Top Bottom