Matthew "Piano Wire" Parris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think we should kill him. Apparently it's fine to say this, because when I took up his piano wire article with the Met they didn't think it worth the bother.

What like? A Cycle-Jihad? :laugh:

I think we should tie him up and drag him naked behind a pink cycle-ricshaw through his beloved 'West End'

The bloke is an uber-twat

He's probably naked there already. Paying "lip service" to the local park scum, hahahaha!!

PBancroft

I'm not going to waste my time reading the new article. I doubt it adds anything new to the debate, and if it does I'll wait for someone else to parrot it. The original Matthew Parris article was without any sort of substance, so much so that it was laughable. Moaning about bad manners without pausing to think that his own might require some inspection, then going on to blame cyclists for all litter from blood-sugar-boosting products is utterly baseless. To then use it as part of a call-to-arms for decapitation is, frankly, pathetic and nothing more. It's worth bearing in mind that Parris is a keen marathon runner. Of course, marathon runners never use blood-sugar-boosting products, and they never discard them inappropriately. If they did, he might run the risk of being victimised for the actions of others.

He is a sad, hate-filled little hypocrite and I have no time for him.

U

User482

To be fair, he doesn't just pick on cyclists. I had the misfortune of reading some inane drivel by him the other week, where he appeared to be blaming the state of the planet on the populations of very poor South American countries.

So I like to think of him a a general twat, rather than an anti-cyclist twat.

Alun

Guru
Who is he anyway? Never heard of him !!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Who is he anyway? Never heard of him !!
He's an ex-Tory MP who quit to become a journalist after a tv programme called 'For the benefit of Mr Parris', which came about when Granada tv took him up on his boast that he could live on the dole and save (benefits being so excessively generous), installing him in a flat in Speke for a week. He was skint by Wednesday, survived the rest of the week on 'the kindness of strangers', and was honest enough to admit that the experience exposed his entire erstwhile political philosophy as a crock of horseshit.

He's actually an intelligent and engaging individual, who's a bit 'Jeremy Clarkson' in that he loves confronting excess earnestness and pomposity, and generally winding people up. Many rise to the bait. I believe he has actually conceded that his 'piano wire' comment was OTT, and apologised for it. I don't read him because I don't read the Times, but if I did, I certainly would. Oh yeah, he's openly gay as well, which is another reason some people take against him (tho' some of their best friends are homo-sexuals).

PBancroft

Oh yeah, he's openly gay as well, which is another reason some people take against him (tho' some of their best friends are homo-sexuals).

No, and I wholeheartedly oppose that viewpoint and resent the insinuation that disliking him makes me a homophobe. I reserve the right to criticise someone who is gay, but not because they are gay. I take against him because he's a knob.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
He did apologise for the first article. It was fairly obvious that it was not meant literally but the problem was that the piano wire thing was precisely the kind of thing that dickheads might feel was justified "for a laugh" by such an article. He admitted that he had been very, very silly.

It's amusing that someone has described him as "hate-filled" when you look at all the vitriol going his way from here. Incidentally, that term has become so cliched, tired and over-used that you might as well substitute for it, "somebody who's views I dislike". It also does not stand up when you take a broader look at his journalistic output, which is generally humane, thoughtful, kind hearted and reasonable. He made an arse out of himself once and apoligised for it. Now then, what was that about "he who is without sin" and stone chucking?

He did apologise for the first article. It was fairly obvious that it was not meant literally but the problem was that the piano wire thing was precisely the kind of thing that dickheads might feel was justified "for a laugh" by such an article. He admitted that he had been very, very silly.

I've actually always wondered about this, would the dickheads who would string up a piano wire be found reading the Times?

Of course, it may be that they may just contribute to it.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I see he's back to targeting cyclists again.

http://www.thetimes....icle2719588.ece

A bit more humour and less incitements to homicide this time though.
rolleyes.gif

Me kyaan no read dem dey ting! Den prappa stoosh now ...

Top Bottom