1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mavic Aksium Spacer

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Yer Maw Mate Yer Maw, 12 Aug 2007.

1. Yer Maw Mate Yer Maw

Yer Maw Mate Yer Maw New Member

I got some new Mavic Aksium wheels and they came with a spacer to go on the hub before the cassette gos on.

I have a Shimano 105 10 speed CS-5600 cassette and I have put the spacer on, should I have done this or is the spacer only indented for 8 & 9 spd cassettes and should be left off for a 10spd as there is no mention of a 10spd in any docs?

http://www.mavic.com/e_upload/pdf/Road_Wheels.pdf

2. starseven

starseven Guest

Hi

I should try it without first, if the lockring cant secure the cassette then it needs the spacer. Last time this one came up, I think it was decided 8 and 10 are narrow needing the spacer , 9 does without.

3. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

the spacer is for the 10 speed casette as you have done.

10 speed cassettes are narrower than 8 or 9 (even with the extra gear!) and need the spacer. This is why you can fit 10sp to 8 & 9 spd wheels, but not fit 9sp to 10spd wheels (if you see what I mean..)

4. chris42

chris42 New Member

Yep you are right.

5. OP
    OP
    Yer Maw Mate Yer Maw

Yer Maw Mate Yer Maw New Member

Thanks for the info I fitted it with the spacer and have done about 50miles, just wanted to make sure I fitted it correctly.

6. noggin

noggin New Member

I needed for my 8 speed cassette

after I moved it from cassette/lock ring