mavic aksium vs cosmic elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

afanjack

Hi all.

I currently ride on mavic aksium and wondered if it was worth while upgrading to cosmic elite. They seem to be around the £250 but I have managed to find a set for £198. Even though this is a cracking price, I'm not sure if I will notice much difference to warrant spending another £200 on a set of wheels.

It depends on the sort of riding you're doing. If it's mainly leisure / short commutes, then you probably won't notice the difference. If you're mostly doing some kind of touring / sportive riding, then the difference will be more noticeable, as regards effort expended / comfort of the ride / speed of the ride.

OP
OP
afanjack

afanjack

Brilliant. I do quite a bit of sportive riding and also long distance charity rides. Last year I done Paris to Swansea, and got another planned for this year from Swansea to London, so it sounds like they should be a good investment.

Thanks racing.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Reasonable wheels for a do it all kind of rider, but I would find it hard to look past the Ksyriums. If only as they're a shallower rim

Brilliant. I do quite a bit of sportive riding and also long distance charity rides. Last year I done Paris to Swansea, and got another planned for this year from Swansea to London, so it sounds like they should be a good investment.

Thanks racing.
Yes, for that type of riding, the weight savings and dimensional advantage, will be noticeable between the 2 wheel sets.

shadow master

Cosmic will hold speeds above 17mph better so on long rides you will certainly notice the difference,aksiums are slightly lighter,but the aero shape of cosmic should out do the few grams difference

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With a bit of luck you'll be able to swap wheels PDQ so can have one set with nice fast rolling 25 slicks and the other with treaded 'wet/icy' tyres on. Just stick to a similar cassette or maybe a 28 first gear on the wet wheel and a 25 first on the slick (the mech shouldn't notice the difference)

jack smith

Veteran
Your in luck, ive just made the same switch and the difference IS noticeable they roll alot better so keep you freewheeling faster for longer you can also feel them being more rigid when climbing out of the saddle, not to mention they have a thicker rim for less weight so your getting a small aero advantage and the spokes are twice as thick which look cool :becool:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
A quick google on Mavic web page shows the Cosmic Elite at 1770g & Aksium Elite at 1735g.

I am led to believe (but not 100% certain) that the Cosmics are an old profile shape (more slab sided & pointed) whereas modern profiles are much more blunt, rounded & wider at the brake track.

I wouldn't expect huge gains you would get from a mid range deep profile modern wheel set.

Then again, I may be completely wrong.

U

User6179

I had the Cosmics , quite stiff and a bit of a harsh ride , got one summer out of them ( 4000 miles) and found 4 or 5 cracks in the back wheel , replaced with an Aksium and found zero difference speed wise , if your heavy like myself then the Cosmics are not the way to go imo as they don't have eyelets , if your light enough then they should be fine.

OP
OP
afanjack

afanjack

Thanks for all the advice guys, decided to go for the cosmics in the end. Not ridden on them yet but they look good.

Attachments

• IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,043
Top Bottom