Mavic Aksium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Had a spoke snap at the elbow on my front Aksium so ordered a replacement which I put on today ,to my surprise nearly every spoke on the front wheel has corroded in the nipple , wheels are about 8 months old and had about 3000 miles use , the strange thing is there does not appear to be any corrosion on the back wheel.

What would cause the front to be corroded but the back to be fine , am thinking lack of lube maybe when the wheel was made!?

Anyway as I seem to be going through 3 wheel sets a year at the moment and mostly back wheels I have plenty of spare front wheels:smile:

Unusual for a front wheel to go first (the weight/muck is usually associated with the rear). FWIW, although its off the bike my old front Aksium never wore out and neither (front or back) snapped a spoke. The rear got over 6000miles before the wear marker dissappeared, came off then but was pressed back into service a few winter back and got another 3000 miles (although the rim was close to failure then). At a guess I'd say you were unlucky perhaps you ride through particularly mucky areas and never cleaned the wheel?

OP
OP
U

User6179

Unusual for a front wheel to go first (the weight/muck is usually associated with the rear). FWIW, although its off the bike my old front Aksium never wore out and neither (front or back) snapped a spoke. The rear got over 6000miles before the wear marker dissappeared, came off then but was pressed back into service a few winter back and got another 3000 miles (although the rim was close to failure then). At a guess I'd say you were unlucky perhaps you ride through particularly mucky areas and never cleaned the wheel?

I only used the wheels in March and April then last two months as was using the summer bike in between , thought it strange myself that just the front was corroded , all my bikes are stored in the house as well so not out in the cold , am not the best for cleaning but I do give them a hose down when the roads are salty .

Have a spare front fulcrum 5 so will use that for now :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

User6179

I doubt it matters but my wheels don't see a hose, its been a bucket and sponge or more often baby wipes. You could be washing muck into the nipples and/or blasting them too hard :wacko:

I wash with bucket and sponge or wipes but this time of year I tend to hose down after rides to stop the grime building up , don't worry about me blasting them too hard as the pressure on outside tap is terrible , would think the back wheel would be worse than front wheel as the back is usually filthiest and needs the most attention.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Are you confusing "corrosion" with thread lock applied to the threads?

It can look like corrosion depending on the type.

OP
OP
U

User6179

Are you confusing "corrosion" with thread lock applied to the threads?

It can look like corrosion depending on the type.

I do not think the Aksium have thread lock? because they have self locking nipples? , cant take a photo as my phoned packed up yesterday and waiting for a replacement.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suffered a corroded wheel overnight once! I managed to get a quick Christmas morning ride in, but was banned from looking at the bike again until Boxing Day evening, by which time the salty deposits from the road had begun their evil work.

The roads certainly were salty in March with the extended winter. Maybe you didn't get all of the salt off the wheels?

OP
OP
U

User6179

I suffered a corroded wheel overnight once! I managed to get a quick Christmas morning ride in, but was banned from looking at the bike again until Boxing Day evening, by which time the salty deposits from the road had begun their evil work.

The roads certainly were salty in March with the extended winter. Maybe you didn't get all of the salt off the wheels?

Yep ,March was worse up here than January and February if I remember correctly ,must of not cleaned the front correctly maybe .!?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I suffered with a little surface corrosion on my Aksiums after a couple of years use. Didn't seem to change how they performed though. 15000 miles later and I still use the front wheel on my winter bike.

OP
OP
U

User6179

I suffered with a little surface corrosion on my Aksiums after a couple of years use. Didn't seem to change how they performed though. 15000 miles later and I still use the front wheel on my winter bike.

Hopefully I will get 15000 out the back wheel :smile:

Top Bottom