Mavic Allroad Disc wheels - Rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi,

Finally got round to fitting the new wheels Mavic all road's to the CX bike.

Everything is great, even setting up tubeless for first time went surprisingly well. However they make a rattle sounds like the spokes are loose? its potentially coming from the front wheel, however I can't be fully sure. Also I only really notice when out of the saddle and pushing harder. So it a bit unnerving when your giving them the most amount of stress & load.

I've never experienced anything like that on any other bike/wheel. I gave every spoke a ping with my finger to see if I could find a loose one but they all seem ok.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
The little knurled washer thingy between valve stem and rim loose ? that one has caught me out before

Lloyby

Hi there,
I have the same issue with a brand new pair of Mavic Askium disc brake wheels. Everything is tight and true but I have an audible rattle from my front wheel when accellorating. On close inspection at home on the stand none of the spoke are loose however when flicked several of them make a rattle. I suspect that this is either due to under tension of the spokes or due to the design of the wheel. I have been in touch directly with Mavic as they are under warranty and now await their response. I will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Hi there,
I have the same issue with a brand new pair of Mavic Askium disc brake wheels. Everything is tight and true but I have an audible rattle from my front wheel when accellorating. On close inspection at home on the stand none of the spoke are loose however when flicked several of them make a rattle. I suspect that this is either due to under tension of the spokes or due to the design of the wheel. I have been in touch directly with Mavic as they are under warranty and now await their response. I will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. I was thinking of contacting the online store I purchased them for some info too, sounds like its probably better to go direct to mavic. Let us know how you get on with Mavic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had this with Mavic bladed spokes and creaking too. It stops once the wheel has been in use for a bit.

dodgy

Add a little dab of grease wherever the spokes cross each other and are in contact.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Add a little dab of grease wherever the spokes cross each other and are in contact.

Thanks for this tip.

However while working my way round the wheel with grease on each spoke crossing I noticed a few of the cross sections the two spokes don't actually touch each other. I wonder if its these spokes that are rattling against each other? I checked the other bike and it looks like where ever spokes cross they touch each other? so I'm not sure if this is normal.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Thanks. I was thinking of contacting the online store I purchased them for some info too, sounds like its probably better to go direct to mavic. Let us know how you get on with Mavic.

I contacted mavic and they asked for me to return the wheel to them so they can take a look and potentially repair it. I have sent it over, i reckon it will take a week or two before I get it back again but if they give me any updates inbetween I can let you know.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
What can they repair? Spokes often touch where they cross.

I agree the spokes touch where they cross each other. However what I noticed was the spokes not touching in some cases. There was like a mm gap on a couple of them, I was questioning if this is normal or not?

I don't know what they will repair to be honest. Mavic said they would need inspect the wheel to work out the issue and then advise on repairs, which sounds fair to me.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Hi there,

Hi Lloyby,

How did you get on with your warranty claim in the end?

I got my wheels back and the same issue was still there. They replaced some spokes apparently and at first the rattle had reduced, but after a couple of rides the rattle is back same as before. Mavic have gone silent now though. I managed to get the second warranty claim registered however since then (more than 3 weeks ago) they have just gone silent not responding to emails or phonecalls. I managed to speak to someone a week or so ago and he said the customer services employee in the UK had been made redundant, and I should wait a little longer. Very disappointing to be honest. This was an expensive (for me) wheelset from a big brand I would expect a lot better service.

Hopefully you had a better experience with mavic customer services.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Haven’t Mavic gone into receivership, may not help matters.
I’d start a claim through the credit card company as not fit for purpose

Top Bottom