Mavic Askium wheels..+ others..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monty Dog

Yenners- you asked this question on the 'other' board - not happy with the answers? I would say that the Mavic and Fulcrum are pretty well the same, whereas the Shimano's aren't quite as good and a little flexy. The Shimanos have an odd nipple size which makes trueing a pain.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
got some of them Shimano ones, they're ok, but the freehub was rattling and wobbly after several hundred miles. The front is a little noodley too

Pottsy

I don't really know much comparatively between the wheels but I can say I have a set of Aksiums and like them a lot. They always seem to get good reviews and comments. I don't think you'd go far wrong with them.

Mortiroloboy

I have had 105's, Aksiums and currently ride Fulcrum R7's. Never had a single problem with the 105's, the Aksiums were good and strong and had aero spokes, I had to have the rear wheel trued after 80 miles. My current bike has R7's made by Campagnolo incidentally, they are as good as the Aksiums, but I have just had to have my rear wheel trued, I weigh 75 kg, so I don't think it's a weight issue, odd that the Shimano's didn't need trueing, but out of the three they were the only ones that flexed noticeably.

I have done a few miles on the Askiums now, they feel very strong, a world away from some shimanos I also tried , the Shimanos may have been lighter though, but at 95k 100g off a wheel wasn't a priority. The graphics on the silver version are all stickers which was a bit disappointing but then these are the least expensive mavic wheel. Overall I would say the are an upgrade over my OE wheels in looks and also a noticably stiffer, better riding wheel .

Mmmmm considering the price......8 out of 10. Recommended.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

User259iroloboy said:
I have had 105's, Aksiums and currently ride Fulcrum R7's. Never had a single problem with the 105's, the Aksiums were good and strong and had aero spokes, I had to have the rear wheel trued after 80 miles. My current bike has R7's made by Campagnolo incidentally, they are as good as the Aksiums, but I have just had to have my rear wheel trued, I weigh 75 kg, so I don't think it's a weight issue, odd that the Shimano's didn't need trueing, but out of the three they were the only ones that flexed noticeably.

Thanks for the comments ! :biggrin:

Checking out the Mavic site and the Fulcrum site the former are heavier by around 100grms I think ~ though the aero aspect (spoke and rim) of them (Mavic) is appealling on the flat obviously but not hills, for the cost :biggrin:

So, after my new wheels arrive on the warranty :smile:

I' hope to get some.... lol...!

Thanks for comments lads :smile:

Peyote

Another vote for the Aksiums here, I think I may have got them from Wiggle too! Though I I get mixed up between them and ChainReaction.

Been riding my pair of Aksiums for about six months, probably had about 1000 miles out of them no problems at all, still true, nice and stiff and have taken a fair beating through Winter on dodgy roads. I would definitely recommend them.

Top Bottom