Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gkerr4

not used them but methinks you have far too many sets of nice wheels to choose from and that you should give me your ES wheels.....

re. the cosmic carbone, not used em, but not heard any bad words said about them either

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I've used the 2008 model - more or less the same as 2012 I would have thought.

Nice solid wheel - bomb-proof in my experience.

Personally the disadvantages (crosswinds,weight and remembering the valve extender etc) outweighed the benefits (I don't TT and although they may be faster I didn't really notice).

Get some Ksyrium SL's

dudigrinfeld

I've used the 2008 model - more or less the same as 2012 I would have thought.

Nice sold wheel - bomb-proof in my experience.

Personally the disadvantages (crosswinds,weight and remembering the valve extender etc) outweighed the benefits (I don't TT and although they may be faster I didn't really notice).

Get some Ksyrium SL's
what the deal with the valve extender?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You don't use tubes with really long valves (too heavy) so you need a valve extender which screws on the top of the presta valve to inflate the tyre and then unscrews.

You need to take one of these every journey if you want to inflate your tyres after a puncture:blush:

dudigrinfeld

You don't use tubes with really long valves (too heavy) so you need a valve extender which screws on the top of the presta valve to inflate the tyre and then unscrews.

You need to take one of these every journey if you want to inflate your tyres after a puncture:blush:
I understand what you say but once you inflate the tyre with the extender, how you take it out, do you leave the core of the valve tube open since it is inside the carbon ferrying?

Also another question is, I usually use latex tube which I have with my Vitorria Evo Corsa tyre and the latex valve is long. I believe long enough for the cosmic SL 52 deep section without extender. Would it be smarter to use it, or to use another latex with shorter valve (if that kind of thing exist) and the extender as you said or to use a regular tube with short valve and extender as you said.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I understand what you say but once you inflate the tyre with the extender, how you take it out, do you leave the core of the valve tube open since it is inside the carbon ferrying?

Also another question is, I usually use latex tube which I have with my Vitorria Evo Corsa tyre and the latex valve is long. I believe long enough for the cosmic SL 52 deep section without extender. Would it be smarter to use it, or to use another latex with shorter valve (if that kind of thing exist) and the extender as you said or to use a regular tube with short valve and extender as you said.

I used intermediate length valves - you could see the top inside the fairing and it was easy to screw it down with a needle.

I'd use what you have - my only problem was that the track pump I use needed more than 10mm of the valve protruding to get a good air-tight grip.

dudigrinfeld

I used intermediate length valves - you could see the top inside the fairing and it was easy to screw it down with a needle.

I'd use what you have - my only problem is that the track pump I use needed more than 10mm of the valve protruding to get a good air-tight grip.
that's why I have the Lezyne alloy floor drive pump with a screw on valve to attach to the presta as you pump it so it can work well with this extension size.

dudigrinfeld

So I got today my Cosmic SL and I went to first ride. Don't know what to say beside they felt heavy comparing my Zipp 404 tubular when I mounted them on my bike but when I went out with them, they were fast, faster as I thought and hope they will be. In fact I did my best result with them, I was much faster on the same route than with my 404. I went two circles under the 8 minutes while I never succeeded to go below the 8 minutes when any wheelset I had. What does it say about the Zipp which weight about 500gr less with Conti tubs? Does it make sense? Do I need to let go of the Zipp or send hem to Zipp for inspection and service maybe..,? Its true I didn't went any hills yet with the CC SL but I have the feeling that I'll do Richmond Park with quite A hilly terrain faster with them as well.

Here some pictures:

bc1dd2c5-2eae-d2b9.jpg

bc1dd2c5-2ebd-7f8a.jpg

Top Bottom