Mavic CXP 10 Rear wheel eats chain - repair or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krod15

Hi all,

New to the forum. I just got a new to me Cannondale Slice and on my first ride (of course) the chain derailed and took out several (at least 9 or 10) spokes on my Mavic CXP 10 rear wheel and probably bent or damaged a few more. I cannot post a picture as I am new to the forum but the rim does not have any noticeable deformation. I was riding at a very low speed, maybe 2-3 mph when it happened. Took a nice spill and had a 1/2 mile walk home as a bonus.

I realize there isn't much anyone can tell me without actually seeing the wheel but I was just wondering what my options could be - is this something that might be deemed repairable or should I scrap it and look for a new wheel? Is it advisable to purchase a used wheel or is that risky? If so, what size would match. The rim says 622 X 13 / 6106 but I admit I don't really know what this means. Is this equivalent to a 700 X 23 (that is what is on the tire)?

Any information or feedback would be helpful as I have no knowledge of this sort of thing. Prior to this I have been riding for years on a Cannondale hybrid that never gave me a moments trouble so I never had to educate myself on these matters:sad:

Thanks in advance for any help!

[@Shaun ETA pictures]:

20170330_135940_resized.jpg

20170330_132417_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun

Founder
Welcome to CycleChat @krod15 and sorry to hear about your wheel problem - if you email me a couple of pictures I'll add them to the thread for you. :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The safest bet would be to take it into a bike shop and get their opinion, it may have damaged the hub.

Whatever you do though get the stops adjusted on the rear mech.

Hi all,

New to the forum. I just got a new to me Cannondale Slice and on my first ride (of course) the chain derailed and took out several (at least 9 or 10) spokes on my Mavic CXP 10 rear wheel and probably bent or damaged a few more. I cannot post a picture as I am new to the forum but the rim does not have any noticeable deformation. I was riding at a very low speed, maybe 2-3 mph when it happened. Took a nice spill and had a 1/2 mile walk home as a bonus.

I realize there isn't much anyone can tell me without actually seeing the wheel but I was just wondering what my options could be - is this something that might be deemed repairable or should I scrap it and look for a new wheel? Is it advisable to purchase a used wheel or is that risky? If so, what size would match. The rim says 622 X 13 / 6106 but I admit I don't really know what this means. Is this equivalent to a 700 X 23 (that is what is on the tire)?

Any information or feedback would be helpful as I have no knowledge of this sort of thing. Prior to this I have been riding for years on a Cannondale hybrid that never gave me a moments trouble so I never had to educate myself on these matters:sad:

Thanks in advance for any help!

What happened to you is very typical of a chain that overshifts right into the spokes. This usually happens when you are going uphill and you're already pedaling very hard and then seek another gear that's not there. Normally the derailer should not allow the chain to move further but the adjustment as out and it could move further than the last gear. The chain then violently jams into the spokes and breaks a few, usually just the outbound spokes on the right side. This means that n a 36-spoke wheel like yours, no more than 9 spokes will be damaged. Also, the spokes prevent the hub from getting damaged so there is a very good chance that your hub is absolutely fine.

Have someone rebuild the wheel for you using new spokes and nipples all around. I say this because your spokes are the cheapest type and you'll get better service (but not make them accident proof) from double-butted spokes and brass nipples. Your existing nipples are too corroded to use again.

As mentioned, the problem started because of poor derailer adjustment or a fall that bent the derailer hanger. Have that checked out. There's no need to get a new wheel It can be repaired.

OP
OP
K

krod15

Thanks for the replies guys. I called around to a couple of shops and took it to one nearby and none of them were willing to repair it. I got quoted on a new wheel as much as $400 and as little as $120, so I went with the one for $120 for now since that is the one that is like mine - a Mavic CXP. Apparently I also need a spacer between the cassette and hub. I may use the old wheel to experiment with and try to repair it myself.

OP
OP
K

krod15

Yes , you are right. Not sure what to do with the bad wheel then. Probably hold onto it for 10 years and then wonder why I did ^_^

Top Bottom