Mavic CXP-22N wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Anybody had any experience of these wheels - its whats coming on my felt z85

Cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
CXP22's are a basic rim which'll be laced with x,y,z spokes onto some manufacturers hub.
I have CXP22 on Ultegra hubs and whilst they're not the lightest rim in the world they are strong and durable. Wheels are always the weak points on new bikes, it would be better to have more expensive wheels and cheaper groupsets (but that's marketing for you).
They'll be fine!
Most people upgrade wheels and tyres as the best upgrade to make, I keep my Mavics for the winter and light touring duties and my lightweigh Reynolds for fast lightweight summer duty.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have those wheels and they do their job well, since I am just a commuter cyclist there is no real point spending money on upgrading the wheels, I will upgrade them when they need to be replaced.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Are they really that heavy when the bike weighs 9kg with them fitted???

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i guess when it arrives i will chuck my r500's on there then

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy

Just as a matter of interest, what would be a good replacement for these? Preferably sub £300?

For £300 I would be looking at Mavic Ksyrium equippes, and some pro race3 or krylion tyres for them with the change.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...-wheels/mavic-ksyrium-equipe-wheels-2012.html

EDIT: But for the price, these would be hard to beat... and plent of change left over
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...wheels/fulcrum-racing-5-wheels-2012-pair.html

Albert

Über Member
22s are fine, I had them on my old Defy Advanced and they stayed true for a couple of years. Some manufacturers put them on really poor hubs though - my Specialized Crux for example - which limits the life expectancy of the wheel to only a few months of regular use.

musa

Über Member
I have the cxp on felt hubs but running aksium on mavic hubs instead. Much lighter but I do worry of side winds on 20spoke wheels

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I wouldn't call CXP 22 rims heavy. Id say 'light rims'

Or am I missing something ? Ive never weighed any bike part in my life though the CXP 22 don't feel any differnt in weight with all the other mid range wheels I have costing up to about £280 a pair.

Punt1971

Regular
I've got CXP22's on my Tricross and they've been fine carrying my not inconsiderable bulk! Had a few issues with true and tension when new but that was down to a poor build, once tensioned and trued properly by myself they've been great for a year or so.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I wouldn't call CXP 22 rims heavy. Id say 'light rims'

Or am I missing something ? Ive never weighed any bike part in my life though the CXP 22 don't feel any differnt in weight with all the other mid range wheels I have costing up to about £280 a pair.
A CXP22 rim is 510g, whilst my whole Reynolds front wheel with skewer is 750g and a Ksyrium equipe front is 770g.

OK, it doesn't sound a lot, but rotational weight matters especially rim weight. And it takes more effort to spin-up a heavier rim than a lighter one all otgher things being equal.
However, the CXP 22 is a good quality, eyeletted rim with thick braking surfaces for years of reliable operation far better than most fitted to some pricey bikes. So, great for commuting, all-weather use, heavy riders or where durability and a lot of punishment are expected. I reckon you'd probably need to spendover £250 on wheels with £60 worth of tyres to feel a notable benefit.

Top Bottom