Mavic Hubs, Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mavic hubs are excellent, I've had a few in my time, currently own two, and have never had an issue. Very Highly Recommended.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top...

Just sold a set of wheels with the old 501 hubs - they went for a good price - still smooth after loads of use.

Got Aksiums and Ksyriums at the mo - hubs brill - they don't really need any servicing, but parts are available - bearings are industry standard - so nothing to get worried about !

yenrod

Mavic Hubs have cassette bearings
cerdxsaj.jpg

in them so they last 'eons.

Ive been after a pair of hubs, on there own, for years !

But are quite difficult to get.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

yenrod said:
Mavic Hubs have cassette bearings in them so they last 'eons.

I'll be honest, I have nothing against these bearings, but I'm not sure I see how they are advantageous on a bicycle. They're heavier for a start and will get wrecked by water and dirt ingress just the same as cup and cone ones will.

At least you could change them easily if they do get wrecked. Are they used by other hub makers?

maurice

MBUK have a group test of xc wheels in this months magazine. They actually said the crossrides rode better than Mavic's more expensive wheels!

However they did say their hubs weren't as good as their rims, and needed the odd part to keep them sweet.

maurice

Tbh I've not been greatly impressed by the rear Deore hub on my mtb, it has needed adjusting a few times. Not touched the front one though.

Are you considering Deore wheels? Just to make it more difficult, MBUK said the Shimano rims were a touch on the fragile side compared to Mavics!

I've been looking at XC wheels recently, and have been very tempted by the XT hubs / DT Swiss 4.2 rim offer Merlin are doing at the moment, £135 for the pair! http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=774&categoryId=99

My LBS have quoted more for the parts alone..

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Both Mavic and Shimano make perfectly serviceable hubs. The only real choice is between 'cup and cone' and cartridge bearings.

I have both types in lots of different bikes and are slowly beginning to favour cartridge, (except for high end Campag where the adjustment system is so easy you can do it on the road without even removing the wheel from the bike).

But for off road or very wet and salty use, I really like being able to replace the whole bearing in the cartridge ones. Remember in Shimano set up, one cup is fixed and if that pits it's the end of the hub. I don't think it's coincidence that lots of the good off road hubs from DT, Hope and Tune all use cartridge.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

maurice said:
My LBS have quoted more for the parts alone..

Yeah. I priced up the parts, as I was hopping to learn how to build wheels, but the parts cost at least as much as the price of fully built wheels. I also popped into a bike shop in Falkirk today and was quoted the same price for a pair of Raleigh wheels as the Mavic ones!

Adjusting hubs doesn't bother me. I strip and re-grease my hubs regularly anyway, it's an easy little job. From what I've seen the cups in hubs are harder than the cones as I've not seen any pit yet. I've seen a few cones crack up.

The thing about sealed 'cartridge' bearings is that they're not serviceable. If water gets in you need to replace them. Obviously you get open ones but they'd be no better than cup and cone.

I know they're sealed but in my experience they're only sealed up to a point. Get them wet enough, often enough and water gets in and wrecks them.

The choice is between Mavic hubs or Deore both with Mavic rims. They seem to cost about the same.

Cartridge bearings are the future. Shi**no don't use them because they arrogantly refuse to buy in any components or sub-assemblies which have anyone elses branding on.

Ask yourself why Shi**no don't make a threadless headset (which, when they made threaded headsets actually featured their own rudimentary cartridge bearings.........go figure).

yenrod

Mr Pig said:
I'll be honest, I have nothing against these bearings, but I'm not sure I see how they are advantageous on a bicycle. They're heavier for a start and will get wrecked by water and dirt ingress just the same as cup and cone ones will.

At least you could change them easily if they do get wrecked. Are they used by other hub makers?

Mr Pig - Ive rode cassette bearings in pedals (Time) for years, must be 15 in fact, and i can personally vouch that they - the bearings have NEVER had any problems.

Ive seen the occasional worn situation on lorries (hubs) where I work but considering the loads they take, which is vastly different to a bikes, then its a win win situ. all the way !

Top Bottom