Mavic Kyrsium Elite, Allroad or Open Pro handbuilt... or Ryde Edge!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

A bit of a dilemma here after my back wheel just split. Front is still a 32 spoke handbuilt with Miche Primato hubs on a Ryde Edge rim and Mavic Yksion 28mm tyres. I'm keeping that, and just replacing the back wheel.

I'm 15 stone, and riding a few 100mile sportives, and training for some harder rides next year on the way down to 13 stone (hopefully!).

I'm not concerned about speed. I ride 50 miles solo at circa 18mph, and whilst I want to get faster, I want to get much fitter before upgrading to a faster setup. Equally, I don't want to ride something that feels sluggish!

Hence right now, I want a highly durable wheel that I can pop on and forget about. Hence, tubeless is necessary. My Mavic Yksion 28mm tyre is still in excellent condition on the back, so I will be able to move that over to the new wheel.
The roads around me aren't great, just standard UK country roads, although I do have to tackle the occasional gravel path too.

Okay, that's the info! So now the question. I'm leaning towards one of the following.

Do I go for an off the shelf:
Mavic Kyrsium Elite (24 spokes concerns me)
Allroad - Those knobbly tyres don't appeal to me, as it seems it may be sluggish, but it seems like it won't break easily)

or stick with handbuilt
Open Pro - 32 spokes and keep the Miche Primato hubs
Open Pro - change the hubs (my aluminium freehubs are a bit cut up)... probably go for 36 spokes.

Ryde Edge... what I currently have, and have had no great problems with!

I feel like Open Pro is probably the way to go, but I've really got no idea of how good they are. Hence, any advice greatly appreciated

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Mavic Ksyrium wheels are massively stiff and strong; I know because recently I dismantled an old Ksyrium SL and replaced the rim with a Kysrium Elite rim, which is made in the same tool but has a black and silver colour scheme. The spoke nipples were rusted solid in the old rim so I had to saw through the spokes with a hacksaw and when the first half dozen let go they did with a loud bang and a lurch as the wheel reshaped itself, so great were the tensions. I like Ksyriums very much indeed for their strength and stiffness although not everybody is a fan of Mavic's proprietary spoke and freehub systems or their policy of destroying all spares five years after they discontinue a model.

You say you aren't concerned about speed yet you ride 50 miles solo averaging 18 mph? That's not too shabby at all. It must be flat where you live!

Lee_M

Guru
My winter bike was transformed when I got a set of ksyrium elite.

No issues with being over 15 st either

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

You guys! No replies for a week then 3 at once, haha! Just ordered some a few hours before you all posted.
Decided to go with the Open Pro partly so I could save a few quid keeping the Miche Primato hub, but mostly because I can keep the 32 spoke setup on the rear. Works out to be £50 hub, £30 spokes (DT Swiss Comp), £40 build (£120 total) as I'll switch over the valve, hub, tyre and have half a bottle of sealant too.

You say you aren't concerned about speed yet you ride 50 miles solo averaging 18 mph? That's not too shabby at all. It must be flat where you live!
Good point! I care about my own speed in relation to how fast I was yesterday, that's for sure, so I ride hard. I just don't see much difference in going from 18mph to 18.2mph or spending £5k on a bike to change that to going from 19mph to 19.2mph. There is a lot of joy to be found in riding a bike that can withstand a nuclear fallout.

I'm looking at Fred Whitton this year or next though... so I may invest at that point... just to make the cutoff!

Top Bottom