Mavic Or Shimano wheels .?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I know it's all aesthetics, but I really like the look of Campagnolo Khamsin G3's. They're also on offer at wiggle right now.
Campagnolo-Khamsin-ASY-G3.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetric-g3-wheelset/
I've seen the Zondas on offer too at wiggle

simongt

Guru
I've recently replaced the rims on my commuter / tourer with the Mavic 317. A good rim, but as noted, a sod for fitting tyres onto - ! :angry:
The tyres I use by choice on these rims are 26 x 1.25 Schwalbe Marathons. Recommended by a respected cycle dealer and in two years and several thousand miles commuting, only two punctures; but both slow, enough to get home on without stopping for a fix. However, I do appreciate, as everyone else should, that tyres, like saddles, are a very personal thing and there is no 'right' tyre for everyone - !:hello:

I prefer the cone and cup hubs, which are favoured by Shimano, but I prefer the quality feel and build of Mavics. I wouldn't fancy a winter season on Shimano's either.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good in what way? Are you replacing knackered wheels and what?

I've the campagnolo khamsin (equivalent to the 7, but usually cheaper, campag make the fulcrums) on one bike and the fulcrum 5 on another. I'd say they roll well. That said they aren't over blessed with spokes so depends how heavy you are and whether carrying luggage on a rack

replacing old shimano basic wheels that are bit knackered
its for club runs
could maybe extend to the fulcrum 5s

I'm just swapping my BTWIN 520 back to some generic RSJ's and 28's, for the winter. I'll get some Carbon Mavic's, and call them my Christmas present, to me. Keep 'em nice for when the weather is good.

the mavic aksium and fulcrum 7/5 seem to be advertised as a winter wheel
i'll be using them year round for everything. only have the one bike so

I've signed up for quidco but cant get my head around it just yet :blush:^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
It's fine all year round, forget the marketing that encourages you to have multiple wheels. Winter means it should be harder wearing

Top Bottom