Mavic Or Shimano wheels .?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Looked at Fulcrums good reviews but noticed the Fulcrum 3 are on offer bit more than I wanted to fork out on but £279.00 ,think it's the offer making me think but good reviews,so did the Fulcrums roll better and sturdier than the Mavics?

They roll about the same but the Fulcrums felt stiffer , My Aksiums can rub the brake pads when I stand up on the pedals and put some power down!

pawl

Legendary Member
Have only ever used Mavics, why is tyre fitting a swine, Never ever had a problem fitting tyres, Have used a few different tyres. the only one i ever had a problem with was a turbo tyre, And that was a little tight but not a problem.
Have only used Michalin Endurance on the Mavics.Fitted the Shimanoes no probs

simongt

Guru
I've recently replaced the rims on my commuter / tourer with the Mavic 317. A good rim, but as noted, a sod for fitting tyres onto - ! :angry:

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
They roll about the same but the Fulcrums felt stiffer , My Aksiums can rub the brake pads when I stand up on the pedals and put some power down!
Yes read reviews on them ,the Quattros as mentioned by @MickeyBlueEyes look good reviews too in between the 5 and 3 range,all of the fulcrum say they roll and climb well,I think I will be getting some sooner rather than later now,just need to pick the right ones ...decisions decisions :reading:

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
What tyre do you use and size on the Quattros ? I've looked at the Conti Grand Prix 4 season tyre as it has got a bit of puncture resistance..

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
What tyre do you use and size on the Quattros ? I've looked at the Conti Grand Prix 4 season tyre as it has got a bit of puncture resistance..
Conti GP4000's 2 in 23mm. Great tyres, I'll get around 8000+ miles out of a set before I start to think about replacing them.

U

User6179

I ride Conti GP4000s as well but in 25c as am quite heavy , roll well and touch wood am getting less than a puncture every 1000 miles on them with summer riding .

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I currently have 23m tyres on mine so prob stick with 23m but yes reviews sound good ,both wheels and tyres are on sale offer too ...:wacko:

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Interested to hear tyre fitting tough on Mavics. Continental GP 4 seasons on mine and didn't notice any difficulty. They are folders so maybe that makes it easier?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
+1 for Fulcrum Quattros. Great wheels for the £

I had a set of Aksiums once and not only did they feel flexy but the freehub ceased up.
Had Shimano 501's too and didn't rate them (I know they are cheap wheels but even so). Funny spoke nipple sizes, heavy and spokes prone to pinging imho.

annirak

Veteran
I know it's all aesthetics, but I really like the look of Campagnolo Khamsin G3's. They're also on offer at wiggle right now.
Campagnolo-Khamsin-ASY-G3.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetric-g3-wheelset/

Top Bottom