Mavic UST tire compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Anyone running Mavic UST tubeless wheels and know anything about tire compatibility? Am I tied to the Mavic Yksion or are other tubeless ready tires compatible? I've read good things about the new Hutchinson offerings but can't seem to find a definitive answer about compatibility anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

rd83

You should be able to use any tubeless tyres, although the Mavic rims and tyres are made to very specific specs, so if you use them together they are an absolute breeze to mount/dismount. I did for the "fun" of it mount a Schwalbe One Tubeless to a Ksyrium UST rim just to see, it was a nightmare!
The Yksion Pro UST are made by Hutchinson anyway and use their 11 Storm Compound.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but how did you get on?
I recently asked my LBS to supply a "similar" replacement front wheel for my worn mavic. When I've come to fit my tire to my new rim it was very difficult to get on. When I eventually managed it and inflated it there was a bump where I've pinched the tube. I did this twice and the same thing happened! It was also difficult to remove the tyre as well.
When I've looked at the new wheel I've realised it's a "UST" with flat sides and not hooked where the tyre bead would go.
The stampings on the rim are:
"Mavic Open Pro UST
622x19TC
Compatible with 23-39mm tubetype or UST tyres only"
The tyre I'm trying to fit is an specialized armadillo, 700x23mm so should fit according to the stamp?
The tubes I have are all 20 - 28c, I'm guessing these will be too wide for the rim?

I've read that I should be able to use any size-fitting tubetype tyre but I am uneasy about there being no "hook" to take the bead and worry these may blow off. Also I'm not that interested in tubeless, much happier to just be able to replace/repair the tyre at the side of the road to be honest!

Can anyone suggest what tyre and tube sizes might be compatible with this rim? Thanks :smile:

Last edited:

Gonzoburger

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but how did you get on?
I recently asked my LBS to supply a "similar" replacement front wheel for my worn mavic. When I've come to fit my tire to my new rim it was very difficult to get on. When I eventually managed it and inflated it there was a bump where I've pinched the tube. I did this twice and the same thing happened! It was also difficult to remove the tyre as well.
When I've looked at the new wheel I've realised it's a "UST" with flat sides and not hooked where the tyre bead would go.
The stampings on the rim are:
"Mavic Open Pro UST
622x19TC
Compatible with 23-39mm tubetype or UST tyres only"
The tyre I'm trying to fit is an specialized armadillo, 700x23mm so should fit according to the stamp?
The tubes I have are all 20 - 28c, I'm guessing these will be too wide for the rim?

I've read that I should be able to use any size-fitting tubetype tyre but I am uneasy about there being no "hook" to take the bead and worry these may blow off. Also I'm not that interested in tubeless, much happier to just be able to replace/repair the tyre at the side of the road to be honest!

Can anyone suggest what tyre and tube sizes might be compatible with this rim? Thanks :smile:
I have a Mavic 2019 Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc Wheelset. I have tried Conti GP4000 and it is NOT POSSIBLE. I have tried Schwalbe Pro One TLE and it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. It took me 3+ hours and lost lots of skin on my hands. At this time I would suggest either Mavic Yksion or simple DO NOT BUY MAVICS. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased the them.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Agreed, the GP4000 TL's were very tight on my cosmic pro carbon SL UST's too. I sold all my Mavic wheels eventually - the tyre compatibility I could just about live with, but finding spokes and parts for them became a nuisance and I didn't want to end up with an expensive pair of wheels that had to go to a dealer every time for servicing. Mavic appear to have lost their way in recent years, I hope they regain it soon under their new ownership.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
I have a Mavic 2019 Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc Wheelset. I have tried Conti GP4000 and it is NOT POSSIBLE. I have tried Schwalbe Pro One TLE and it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. It took me 3+ hours and lost lots of skin on my hands. At this time I would suggest either Mavic Yksion or simple DO NOT BUY MAVICS. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased the them.

Sorry, forgot to update this thread.
I took the wheel back to the lbs and explained the problem I had. Got funny looks as if I didn't know how to change a tyre... anyway, they had exactly the same issues:laugh: in the end they sorted me out with a normal Mavic clincher and built with my hope hub so all good.
But yes the original UST rim did not seem compatible with tubetype tyres.
i may go tubeless one day but not just yet :smile:

Top Bottom