MAVIC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Up until today l thought that Mavic was just a cool name for French bike bits , that is until l read this :
Mavic is a France-based bicycle parts manufacturer, its name an acronym for Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel. It was founded by Charles Idoux and Lucien Chanel in Lyon, France in the late 1800s.
Yawn, yawn l might just go back to Campagnolo ....and l wouldn't be surprised if this was a flowery Italian acronym :wacko:

There was a guy called Campagnolo, just as there was a guy called Shimano.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And Mavic are, very sadly, almost flat broke these days. They have given up the legendary "Yellow Car" neutral service role for this year's Tour de France as they couldn't afford to do it for the free publicity any more. Instead the neutral car will be Shimano blue in 2021.

I think that's quite sad, they have become something of an institution, those yellow cars and motorbikes. :sad:

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I read this recently . "A Mavic press release suggested that the company felt “incomprehensibly abandoned and [has] never really been taken over, neither by Regent LP, nor by M Sports.”

By May 2020 Mavic was in receivership.

Oh well non of the above will stop me collecting Mavic bike components whenever l have the opportunity ( and the money) and "there in lies the rub" to mis- quote William S. It seems that once something is no longer available , the price rises along with the demand. Odd bunch us human beings :wacko:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
By May 2020 Mavic was in receivership.

Aw shoot. My standard go to rim is an Open Pro. Going to be no more if you educated folks have your ears accurately to the ground or grapevine. Might just head off into internet land and buy up some rims.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Thanks for the information. I had always assumed Mavic was some sort of acronym or neologism, possibly an amalgam of Ma Vic(toire) — my victory — which may conceivably have been in the minds of Idoux and Chanel when they decided on it. Another which comes to mind is the British bicycle component trademark GB which had nothing to do with Great Britain as such but happened to be the initials of the founder of the company: Gerry Burgess, who was astute enough to cash in on the coincidence. The French Huret company made Allvit gears, presumably a neologism derived from allez vite — go fast. Metafil inner wires were presumably a similar derivation from fil métallique — metal wire. The Milremo marque obviously echoes the classic Primavera Milan-San Remo race. An interesting newcomer on the block is the French marque Rainette. They make bicycle-friendly waterproofs for children so the English 'rainware for little people' seems built into the name. However, the word-play goes further. Rainette pronounced by a francophone would give an equivalent sound to the French word reinette which would mean 'little queen' — a name many parents might use as a term of endearment for their little daughters. It goes further: in colloquial French the terme petite reine, little queen, has long been used as a synonym for bicycle. Apparently it derives from Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1890–1948) who often rode a bike. Clever branding can take one down some interesting by-roads.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Aw shoot. My standard go to rim is an Open Pro. Going to be no more if you educated folks have your ears accurately to the ground or grapevine. Might just head off into internet land and buy up some rims.
Wise move if you get in quick, l can only see prices escalating when everyone realises that the Mavic brand has gone for good.

Top Bottom