MAVIC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
And Ford Prefect?
That's the Dagenham branch of the family.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aw shoot. My standard go to rim is an Open Pro. Going to be no more if you educated folks have your ears accurately to the ground or grapevine. Might just head off into internet land and buy up some rims.
Good luck finding any spares. I had a real struggle to find a 36h silver open pro rim last year when needed to replace a cracked one. Found eventually via the web in an LBS in London, cost me rather more than the one it replaced!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Thanks for the information. I had always assumed Mavic was some sort of acronym or neologism, possibly an amalgam of Ma Vic(toire) — my victory — which may conceivably have been in the minds of Idoux and Chanel when they decided on it. Another which comes to mind is the British bicycle component trademark GB which had nothing to do with Great Britain as such but happened to be the initials of the founder of the company: Gerry Burgess, who was astute enough to cash in on the coincidence. The French Huret company made Allvit gears, presumably a neologism derived from allez vite — go fast. Metafil inner wires were presumably a similar derivation from fil métallique — metal wire. The Milremo marque obviously echoes the classic Primavera Milan-San Remo race. An interesting newcomer on the block is the French marque Rainette. They make bicycle-friendly waterproofs for children so the English 'rainware for little people' seems built into the name. However, the word-play goes further. Rainette pronounced by a francophone would give an equivalent sound to the French word reinette which would mean 'little queen' — a name many parents might use as a term of endearment for their little daughters. It goes further: in colloquial French the terme petite reine, little queen, has long been used as a synonym for bicycle. Apparently it derives from Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1890–1948) who often rode a bike. Clever branding can take one down some interesting by-roads.
Did Mavic try to retain manufactuting in France or join the rush to China ?
Thanks for the information. I had always assumed Mavic was some sort of acronym or neologism, possibly an amalgam of Ma Vic(toire) — my victory — which may conceivably have been in the minds of Idoux and Chanel when they decided on it. Another which comes to mind is the British bicycle component trademark GB which had nothing to do with Great Britain as such but happened to be the initials of the founder of the company: Gerry Burgess, who was astute enough to cash in on the coincidence. The French Huret company made Allvit gears, presumably a neologism derived from allez vite — go fast. Metafil inner wires were presumably a similar derivation from fil métallique — metal wire. The Milremo marque obviously echoes the classic Primavera Milan-San Remo race. An interesting newcomer on the block is the French marque Rainette. They make bicycle-friendly waterproofs for children so the English 'rainware for little people' seems built into the name. However, the word-play goes further. Rainette pronounced by a francophone would give an equivalent sound to the French word reinette which would mean 'little queen' — a name many parents might use as a term of endearment for their little daughters. It goes further: in colloquial French the terme petite reine, little queen, has long been used as a synonym for bicycle. Apparently it derives from Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1890–1948) who often rode a bike. Clever branding can take one down some interesting by-roads.
You might find this interesting;
https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/news/the-mavic-story-130-years-of-cycling-innovation

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Its hard to say because the "Mavic" brand name was bought and sold by several companies from Europe and the USA l believe. So in all probability components were quite possibly made in Asia. Mavic has been French in name only in recent years.

Top Bottom