MaxiClimber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I not long purchased a MaxiClimer. I don't know if anyone has heard of it or not, but does it ever give a great workout. It doesn't give a circular motion to the legs like one gets while riding, but it sure does work the leg muscles. After a few minutes on this thing, the thigh muscles really burn. It actually gives you an overall workout, including the core. has anyone used this, and if so, what is your opinion?

IMG_3778.jpg

I'm not sure it's so helpful for cycling but I'm sure it's a worthwhile workout.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I not long purchased a MaxiClimer. I don't know if anyone has heard of it or not, but does it ever give a great workout. It doesn't give a circular motion to the legs like one gets while riding, but it sure does work the leg muscles. After a few minutes on this thing, the thigh muscles really burn. It actually gives you an overall workout, including the core. has anyone used this, and if so, what is your opinion?

View attachment 427415

I have the exact same one and (as we say here in Wales) "Dew it's hard"

Very very good workout though - especially for the thighs and core.

I've sold most of my exercise equipment off in favour of this

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I'm not sure it's so helpful for cycling but I'm sure it's a worthwhile workout.
It does work the thigh muscles extremely well, and I have found that it does help my cycling based on that. Yes, it is a worthwhile workout. Best exercise machine I have used so far.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I have the exact same one and (as we say here in Wales) "Dew it's hard"

Very very good workout though - especially for the thighs and core.

I've sold most of my exercise equipment off in favour of this
It sure does work the thighs and core. The first time I used it, I couldn't believe how far out of shape I was. Getting better now over time, but easy does it. At my age I don't want anymore knee injuries. I'm sure that one of the benefits from use is stronger knee joints.

Since purchasing this, I haven't touched my free weights.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I’ve used a Stairnaster in the gym before. 15 mins of climbing stairs is a killer!
Better shape than I am, Gunga Din. 3 min max (for now), and I'm done in. After going for awhile, the thigh muscles really burn, and the harder I pull down on the handles, the easier on the thighs because you are using you body weight only. When you pull down, then you are exercising the upper body, and also on the core. Believe me, when you're finished, all you want to do is collapse in an easy chair with a cold beer. But I force myself to forgo the beer. :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just use the local hills...

When I was clotted up and not well enough to cycle, I got fit again walking up a hill to meet a friend from work. It took me a couple of months before I could even do the walk slowly but eventually I could get up there in 25 minutes and back down again in just under 20.

Power-walk.gif

I'm sure that a 'stair climber' machine has similar benefits for those who don't have suitable big hills on their doorstep. (I briefly thought about doing my power-walks while carrying kettlebells to work my upper body more but the reality was that I would probably have conked out after about 100 paces!)

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I just use the local hills...

When I was clotted up and not well enough to cycle, I got fit again walking up a hill to meet a friend from work. It took me a couple of months before I could even do the walk slowly but eventually I could get up there in 25 minutes and back down again in just under 20.

View attachment 427557

I'm sure that a 'stair climber' machine has similar benefits for those who don't have suitable big hills on their doorstep. (I briefly thought about doing my power-walks while carrying kettlebells to work my upper body more but the reality was that I would probably have conked out after about 100 paces!)
Even better, because you are outside in the fresh air. Glad you are doing well now. Keep it up because the benefits are enormous. I could hike the mountain trails nearby, but its a bit of a drive, so with my climber, I can jump on at anytime.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have only used the stair climber a few times in the gym, it is honestly not for me. I did however once do the 'Hustle Up The Hancock', which is a stair climb up the 94 floors of the John Hancock tower in Chicago, it was surprising easy, although I did get a bit dizzy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Better shape than I am, Gunga Din. 3 min max (for now), and I'm done in. After going for awhile, the thigh muscles really burn, and the harder I pull down on the handles, the easier on the thighs because you are using you body weight only. When you pull down, then you are exercising the upper body, and also on the core. Believe me, when you're finished, all you want to do is collapse in an easy chair with a cold beer. But I force myself to forgo the beer. :laugh:
Oh that was maybe 5 years ago! My knee is shot so I doubt I could use at all now

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Even better, because you are outside in the fresh air. Glad you are doing well now. Keep it up because the benefits are enormous. I could hike the mountain trails nearby, but its a bit of a drive, so with my climber, I can jump on at anytime.
Thanks.

The other advantage of your machine is that bad weather isn't an issue either! Fortunately, the winter that I was doing my power-walks in was a mild one.

I meant to post this photo too... (The first part of the hill - a real killer!)

buttress.jpg

I haven't been doing so much walking since I got back on my bike, but I think it would be good to start doing more again. (I get plenty of cardiovascular exercise on the bike but walking definitely works some other muscles more because some ache after a long walk that don't ache after a long bike ride.)

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Oh that was maybe 5 years ago! My knee is shot so I doubt I could use at all now
I'm very sorry to hear that. Are you taking anything for the knee? About ten years ago I had a lot of pain and discomfort in my right knee, but after taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for awhile, my knee got better. I'm back taking it again as I am with a bit of bother again, but not anywhere nears as bad.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Thanks.

The other advantage of your machine is that bad weather isn't an issue either! Fortunately, the winter that I was doing my power-walks in was a mild one.

I meant to post this photo too... (The first part of the hill - a real killer!)

View attachment 427571

I haven't been doing so much walking since I got back on my bike, but I think it would be good to start doing more again. (I get plenty of cardiovascular exercise on the bike but walking definitely works some other muscles more because some ache after a long walk that don't ache after a long bike ride.)
That is a steep hill for sure. Have you tried riding up it? I would imagine it would be quite a challenge. I doubt I could make it on my bike. maybe walking, but not riding.

Yes, good point. The weather can play an issue. For me, it's not a big problem as we don't get a lot of rain, just heat at this time. Today it should be around 105. Can't wait for the winter. We're a strange lot really. The rest of the country looks forward to summer, while we, on the other hand, look forward to the cool of the winter.

Top Bottom