Maximising brake-ability of steels rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

repairtec

An old dodge was cutting brake blocks out of polyurethane sheet these enable you to pull up instaneously :birthday: so you'll need to experiment with grooves, I think polyurethene sheeting is available from RS Components or Farnell

jimboalee

repairtec said:
An old dodge was cutting brake blocks out of polyurethane sheet these enable you to pull up instaneously :blush: so you'll need to experiment with grooves, I think polyurethene sheeting is available from RS Components or Farnell

I was going to suggest hacksawing skateboard wheels to make brake blocks.

Skateboard wheels today are 'rock hard' but if you've still got a set of Kryptonic Lime Green, you're advised to scrap them to make steel wheel blocks.

Kryptonic Blue were too soft. Belair wings were too hard. OJs ( Orange Juice ) were about right.

If you haven't got any of these items ( 1979 vintage ), Truck riser plates are worth a try. Translucent red.

repairtec

Yep I think you are right skateboard wheels are made of polyurethane, I've got a pair that are flourescent yellow..........wheels I mean

jimboalee

repairtec said:
Yep I think you are right skateboard wheels are made of polyurethane, I've got a pair that are flourescent yellow..........wheels I mean

Stick around and you'll hear I was a Pro poolrider in the seventies.

"Boy you really missed it. You should have been here yesterday. Those guys were 'bluetile gliding'.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
I don't have any vintage skateboard wheels knocking around, but I do have some mountainboard egg shocks knocking around and they are polyurethane

hmmmmmm

02GF74

Über Member
if alloy rims or disc brakes are not in your budget, then you can roughen up the surface of the rims.

drill small holes in the braking surface - very time consuming or just go over it with some coarse wet and dry making radial grooves.

I am sure I recall seeing brake blocks with some flap attachement that is supposed to squeegy (is that a real word?) off water from the rim surface.

jimboalee

02GF74 said:
if alloy rims or disc brakes are not in your budget, then you can roughen up the surface of the rims.

drill small holes in the braking surface - very time consuming or just go over it with some coarse wet and dry making radial grooves.

I am sure I recall seeing brake blocks with some flap attachement that is supposed to squeegy (is that a real word?) off water from the rim surface.

You need rims like this...

seratedrims.jpg

Top Bottom