Maximising brake-ability of steels rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Short of replacing the rims with alloys, how much can be done to improve the braking performance of old steel wheels?

Thanks
Liz

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hmm....not sure leather faced blocks provide the answer.
As a rider of a vintage Dawes complete with chromed steel rims, I would not waste my money on them. I have concluded that there is no answer, except to accept that the brakes on steel-rimmed bikes are poor compared to modern bikes. Isn't that what progress is meant to be?

Davidc

Guru
Leather brake blocks were available, fairly cheaply, back in the 60s and 70s when I was stuck with the things. They work better in the wet than rubber + water + steel, but not well, and they are poorer in the dry.

My last ones got nicked with their bike. I did have some steel coated with something (I know not what) which were OK but weak. The brakes worked with them but I replaced them with alloy.

I'd replace the rims.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Davidc said:
I'd replace the rims.

The wheels are 26" x 1 1/4 - I don't think any alloy rims exist in that size.

I have looked at alternatives, but it's a cheap 70s touring bike I've bought partly to see how I get on with a road bike geometry, and partly just for the lols :tongue: so I don't want to go over the top upgrading it.

Liz

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
brokenbetty said:

I have looked at alternatives, but it's a cheap 70s touring bike I've bought partly to see how I get on with a road bike geometry, and partly just for the lols :tongue: so I don't want to go over the top upgrading it.

Liz
Are you certain of the rim size? Are you sure its not 27 x 1 1/4? What size are the tyres?

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Are you certain of the rim size? Are you sure its not 27 x 1 1/4? What size are the tyres?

I'm pretty certain. It's a low end 70s road bike with a 19" frame - apparently they sometimes used this size of wheel on small frames.

The tyres are 26" 1 1/4 / 32-597

Davidc

Guru
brokenbetty said:

I have looked at alternatives, but it's a cheap 70s touring bike I've bought partly to see how I get on with a road bike geometry, and partly just for the lols :headshake: so I don't want to go over the top upgrading it.

Liz

I'm not sure how all the rim sizes work. I've only ever replalced like with like and haven't run into that problem of changing 26" standards, only 27" to 700c.

I've read that tyres for modern mtb 26" wheels are different from those for the old 26" wheels current up to the 1960s / 70s and early 80s, and to muddy things further the hub widths have changed for some wheels. (There's some material on widening the chain stays on this forum, with links to other 'expert' sites).

You do have options, although the LBS could be the best one. If the original hubs and their bearings are in good condition you should be able to put the new standard rims on the original hubs provided the new tyre size will fit the frame. OK if you're good at rebuilding wheels, otherwise an LBS job. You could look into putting a modern pair of wheels on and widening the frame as required - usually OK with steel but I'm not sure about aluminium.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What do the existing brake blocks look like- are they short rectangular blocks? -could you replace with longer blocks curved to the radius to give a better gripping area? +regular degreasing of the rim to improve grip?

tyred

Legendary Member
I have some experience of this problem myself. Modern brake blocks do not work properly on steel rims. Try and find some old stock (leather or rubber) from the days when these rims were the norm. I got a whole card of the things on ebay for £2.10 and made a huge difference.

Davidc

Guru
tyred said:
I have some experience of this problem myself. Modern brake blocks do not work properly on steel rims. Try and find some old stock (leather or rubber) from the days when these rims were the norm. I got a whole card of the things on ebay for £2.10 and made a huge difference.

The then standard rubber ones didn't work when the steel rims were current and alloy rims were beyond my price range!

Lethal bl****y things.

PpPete

Legendary Member
brokenbetty said:
I'm pretty certain. It's a low end 70s road bike with a 19" frame - apparently they sometimes used this size of wheel on small frames.

The tyres are 26" 1 1/4 / 32-597

Not that's its any use to you in the solution to the braking efficiency.... but 26" x 1-1/4" / 32-597 wheels are still available - only in steel though. I was looking for some for a restoration project some time ago. Freemans cycles still do them. SJS still do the tyres.

BTW
26" x 1-1/4" is not necessarily the same diameter as 26 x 1-3/8" - and both are different diameter from modern 26" wheels. "not a lot of people know that" - but as ever Sheldon has the details.

GrahamG

Guru
Depending on the amount of adjustment on the brake calipers - you might get away with wacking 26" mtb wheels or 700c wheels in there with tyre sizes that roughly match the originals in terms of overal diameter.

Top Bottom