Maxims to live your life by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'If you're going through hell keep going'.

'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts''

"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards, our dwellings shape us"

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen"

"Out of intense complexities, intense simplicities emerge"

"Time and money are largely interchangeable terms"

Just a few nuggets from Winston Churchill.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Take what you can
Eat off the man
Wear high heels
And get a record deal

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When I was younger it wasn't unusual to find a Mercedes taxi with 250,000 miles on the clock and still going strong.

I had a ride in one in Brussels, which though an older style, seemed brand new condition. It had done 600,000km. I doubt a modern (meaning last 10 years) one would do that

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Some good maxims to live by are included in the following Serenity Prayer:

God, Grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things that I can
And Wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right If I surrender to His will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen

Bristolian

I was warned off buying a merc by a guy I do work for. He dealt in cars and had a lovely merc for sale. It was imaculate with pale cream leather seats, metallic red flawless paint, sun roof etc. It really looked the business. I asked how much he was selling it for (not with the intention of buying) and he said £8000. I imagined it would be £25000 probably more.
I said whats wrong with it and he said 'nothing now. But if you buy it you will be forever spending on it.' He also said rust is always a problem.
I thought Mercs were supposed to be bombproof.

In contrast, my 2009 Mercedes is the most reliable car I've ever owned. With 228,000 miles on the clock the engine and transmission still pull like they did when new and returns an average of 36mpg. Taking insurance, road tax, MOT, servicing and miscellaneous repairs into account, but excluding fuel, it costs me £24 per week to run. No rust on it anywhere but it gets undersealed every couple of years. It's not seen the inside of a Mercedes dealer stealer since 2016 - they are nothing but money grabbing bar stewards, but probably no worse than any other main dealer.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
No one lies on their death bed thinking " I wish I spent more time at work "

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought Mercs were supposed to be bombproof.

Mine was broadly ok but every other service something would go wrong and it would cost a packet. But it was corrosion (and ULEZ) that did for it. It was a nice car to drive, it chugged along unstoppably.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Always expect the unexpected.

It saved me from a car smash yesterday when someone drove out of a side road completely oblivious to me. Didn't stop 5 bottles of wine flying off the back seat but it definitely saved a smash.

Top Bottom