Maximum Heart Rate Zones....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can you get any heart rate monitor that records your heart rate over a period of time?
can I presume that my Garmin Edge 1000 has then and that it is downloadable to a PC?
This is where we're going to disagree because I think you should establish a realistic max heart rate that you will achieve on a 250 metre sprint. I really do believe this ought to be an average of 3 results
Guys - I think it would be worth giving Simon a break. Read these quotes. He's just got a Garmin 1000. He has not done a max HR test, YET. I'll bet a fair few posters on this thread have ^_^
@Simon Head please do a test and let us know how you get on. Please include all 3 of your results. We can pick the highest and you can pick the average. You can use whichever figure you want for whatever purpose you think useful.

S-Express

ps. ftp test, if done properly, can also achieve maximum hr value.
Not sure why you need to be hitting MHR during an FTP test. Can you explain?

Tin Pot

Guru
this would be way too easy, and give the meaningless reading - what's the point? ramp test or vo2max test (visualise a calamity waiting to happen if you fail to give your absolute best) are reliable ways to find out max hr within few beats per second. it's usually a team effort as it's too painful to get to that level on your own.
Yes
ps. ftp test, if done properly, can also achieve maximum hr value.
No

zigzag

Veteran
Not sure why you need to be hitting MHR during an FTP test. Can you explain?
at the typical ftp test which is done over 20min* (after proper warm up) you are bound to achieve or almost achieve (depending on how much are you prepared to suffer) your max hr at the end of the test. mine was only two bpm below the "official" measured mhr, and i would have reached the mhr if an angry coach was shouting into my ear!
*the average power value is then multiplied by .95 to get the ftp figure

S-Express

at the typical ftp test which is done over 20min* (after proper warm up) you are bound to achieve or almost achieve (depending on how much are you prepared to suffer) your max hr at the end of the test.

Not aware of any FTP metric which involves a maximal effort. A 1min maximum, perhaps - but that's not the same thing.

zigzag

Veteran
nearly every article i've read about ftp testing emphasized the importance of giving your absolute best (i.e. max effort) over 20 minutes - hence a pretty accurate indicator of mhr at the end of 20min

S-Express

nearly every article i've read about ftp testing emphasized the importance of giving your absolute best (i.e. max effort) over 20 minutes - hence a pretty accurate indicator of mhr at the end of 20min

Sure, but your 'absolute best' at 20min pace is unlikely to see you hitting MHR, that's all I'm saying. MHR is by definition a maximal effort - in other words, one that can only be 'sustained' for a few seconds at the very most.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You're confusing terms. A 20min test is used to calculate the maximum sustainable output for an hour, absolute maximum power output won't last more than a few seconds.

One figure is a somewhat steady effort with no reason or guarantee to be a reliable source of MHR, the other is likely to be a shortlived anaerobic spike during which HR doesn't respond quickly enough to effort.

Edit: Beaten to it

Last edited:

Simon Head

I have just read the 'Wattbike' FTP testing and this seems much more sensible and useful than max HR although I think it should be completed 3 times so one accustomed to doing it. I'll give it a go Tuesday

S-Express

I have just read the 'Wattbike' FTP testing and this seems much more sensible and useful than max HR although I think it should be completed 3 times so one accustomed to doing it. I'll give it a go Tuesday
But this thread is not about FTP testing, it is about MHR testing. You seem to be talking about something entirely different.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Again, an average of 3 tests is not the answer. 3 tests not done correctly then averaged out isn't going to later produce any useful training zones as a percentage of FTP.

S-Express

Sitting here watching Strada Bianche on Eurosport and thought I would see what my HR was

Connected up to the Wahoo Fitness app and this came up
View attachment 340762

then it went lower
View attachment 340763

and down to this
View attachment 340764

so double checked it on the Viiiiva app
View attachment 340765

I've seen it as low as 44 in the past year but with colds and flu this winter it's been closer to 58-60 so at least I know the dreaded lurgy is starting to go...

30 years ago I had a RHR of 38BMP

EDIT, just had another look
View attachment 340766

Not exactly sure how that moves the debate on, but thanks for posting.

Top Bottom