Maximum Rider Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Was the film made by a company with ulterior motives.

To be honest I feel both steel and carbon are safe and own both.

Just seemed to be a guy cutting them up out of curiosity, didn't seem to be a employed by a bike company.

Shaun

Drago

Legendary Member
They are most assuredly safe, but plonking on a rider that's 12% heavier than the maximum payload (and that's before clothes and shoes) is not so clever.

If you're at or within the rated payload then go for it. I'm not, so it becomes a case of risk management.

Lend me your carbon bike ;)
14089070_10153725557341969_5582734418222768875_n.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are most assuredly safe, but plonking on a rider that's 12% heavier than the maximum payload (and that's before clothes and shoes) is not so clever.

If you're at or within the rated payload then go for it. I'm not, so it becomes a case of risk management.

Lend me your carbon bike ;) View attachment 336796

Prop forward !!!!

Given that frames have to withstand massive amount of forces, this 100kg or so limit is stupid. It's just bum covering. Having seen stress tests of a company's alloy frame vs carbon, it's quite amazing how strong carbon is used how it's designed. OK you fall off the the bike bounces and hits a curb/rock - the steel/alloy bike will have a big dent in the side. The carbon might not look to have, but may have damage to the wall of the fabric - you'll probably see it.

My carbon forks on the fixed came away with a scratch, I snapped my spine !

fossyant

My 653 and Columbus steel frames are incredibly thin. Easy to dent if you drop them on an edge. But 25 years on they are still going.

screenman

Legendary Member
Gone. Fortunately mine aren't dented, but the material is thin, much much thinner than alloy or carbon. Anyone remember doing the finger nail 'ting' off the steel tubes. We always did it ! The higher the pitch, the thinner !!

I had a Ishiwata tubes frame cannot remember the make but the numbers 022 were on it, that did ping.

fossyant

I had a Ishiwata tubes frame cannot remember the make but the numbers 022 were on it, that did ping.

We used to go round pinging the frames. My Herety SLX makes a lovely 'ping' but of course it would....hand built exotica as you would call it now.

Pinarello makes a big deal about the carbon rifling in the tubes, nope Columbus did it with SLX... that's something to see on a steel bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

STEVEMO

Thanks to all who replyed. The problem I have is that I’ve tried to email Obera direct but no reply as yet ( 7 days and counting) and two dealers have told me no weight limit but it sounds too good to be true. I am 128kg not fatty but typical rugby prop stuff and would love to get a little more out of MTB.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks to all who replyed. The problem I have is that I’ve tried to email Obera direct but no reply as yet ( 7 days and counting) and two dealers have told me no weight limit but it sounds too good to be true. I am 128kg not fatty but typical rugby prop stuff and would love to get a little more out of MTB.
Where are you buying the bike from? Go speak to them, in person or by phone. Did you contact orbea's UK distributor or their Spanish HQ? Forget email. Speak to someone

I do fear though at 128kg or 20 stone you will exceed their recommended max, frame and wheels. That is not to say you'd definitely have an issue but in the event you do, warranty claims might be problematic and you really don't want cracks in a bike frame, esp carbon

Steel or Alu frames might have higher limits but you might still want some handbuilt wheels with 36 spokes to avoid potential issues

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

STEVEMO

Thanks for all the help. Orbea hq has told me that they have no specific weight limits on thier carbon bikes. So now i have it in writing so to speak feel a little happier. So lets hope i dont have any problems.

Peak loading occures when you slam the bike over a pothole or up a curb or somesuch, sitting like a sack of spuds. You can reduce peak loading by using wider tyres ( with disc brakes) and riding with smooth power delivery in a responsive style.

Top Bottom