Maximum size handle bars to use cycle tracks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

Measured two bikes 630 mm one is 670 mm the latter 1 meter high the other two lower, so all my bikes should fit through the bars, so there is really nothing I can do to ensure new ebike when I get it will fit, maybe quick release handle bars, clearly no point cutting the bars down where there are all within the standard sizes.

Even for wheelchairs we can't get local council to maintain the paths, I had two where there was a step of around 4 inches so the electric wheel chair was stopped returning up the step however it would go down, and there was a bar likely to injure ones legs after one step told it was to slow cyclists down, but I said it was a health and safety issue, they promised to fix, that was 4 years ago still not done.

So if they will not alter for wheel chairs, heath authority issued, then no chance for bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm no fan of A-gates, but were it not for yobbos on motor and quad bikes they wouldn't be there.

So the majority suffer for the actions of the minority.

The fashion for wide handlebars has made matters worse.

My mate Steve on his CX bike rides through most gates, or at most unclips one foot.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm no fan of A-gates, but were it not for yobbos on motor and quad bikes they wouldn't be there.

So the majority suffer for the actions of the minority.
There is no obstacle (not a gate - never gets opened) which can block motorbikes but permit bikes in general. The only way to stop motorbikes is enforcement. The minority making cyclists and mobility aid users suffer are the zealots arguing for these obstacles who won't accept that simple fact.

I got a secondhand Raleigh hybrid which was factory-fitted with bars of a ridiculous width of 24 1/2", which, aside from being wider than anyone could possibly need to control the bike, are a right royal PITA when passing through those anti-motorcycle barriers. The solution is actually very simple; I deployed my hacksaw and cut 5/8" off each side of the bars and reduced their width. Now, there are very few barriers where I need to resort to picking the whole bke up and heaving it over the top before walking round the gate.
Just do what I did, get the hacksaw out and make the bike fit the gaps you need to get it through., its not exactly a big deal.

A better solution would be to get the hacksaw out and make the gaps wider :biggrin:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom