Maximum Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dav1d

Although my average speed is only 12 mph (I can be lazy sometimes!) on my mountain bike, my maximum speed was around 18. I got this up to almost 22mph. Recently, I got to 26mph.

Is this a good or bad speed? What is the maximum speed I could possibly go on my mountain bike (not counting hills or wind, I don't count them or wind in my favour as my maximum speed)?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would think that is probably about the max on an mtb

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You need to get a recumbent trike. Look at the max speed on this download from my satnav:

speedy.jpg

FatFellaFromFelixstowe has ridden with me, he knows it's possible!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Given your average speed is higher than mine I'd expect you to eek out a bit more than 26mph but not a lot more. So I'd say you're fairly close to the maximum.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
dav1d - So you are asking if that is a good speed on the flat. Short answer - YES. On a road respectable, off road extremely good indeed. - IMHO anyway

bigfella

Über Member
When I was fitter, I managed over 35mph on my MTB down a steep hill. I snapped 2 spokes at the same time!!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
marinyork said:
Given your average speed is higher than mine I'd expect you to eek out a bit more than 26mph but not a lot more. So I'd say you're fairly close to the maximum.

No, this is average speed. Maximum speed doesnt have much to do with your average. Average is how long you sit at a certain speed. This person just goes along faster then you, so sits at a higher speed then what you do.
I have done 48mph on a roadbike. I had to turn around and go back up that hill aswell because we missed the turn:wacko:;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
3-IN-One said:
Scary stuff Did your eyes water?

I think they did. I was tooked right down wanting to go faster. It was down a hill, and there were cars parked on one side of the road, and we were on the other bombing down the hill:eek:;):becool::laugh:
Excellent fun.

OP
OP
D

dav1d

Thanks for the answers. It was on a flat road.
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I would think that is probably about the max on an mtb

Maximum's are there to be beaten. ;) Wasn't until the past few months that I even attempted any maximum speed, but it's addictive trying to break it! :becool:

bigfella

Über Member
I remember overtaking a friend at speed who was flat out on his moped. Only to be overtaken up the hill!

OP
OP
D

dav1d

Auntie Helen said:
I dare you to surpass mine!

I'll try, but I'll probably need a couple of months or so to get up to that (if ever) as yours is almost 20 miles more per hour! Was yours on flat ground or down a hill?

Top Bottom