May Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
No, I'm not drowning after being struck by an iceberg during a trans-atlantic voyage to the new world. Or anything like it. I'm asking is there anyone out there in CycleChat land that celebrates May Day (?).

May Day - the first day of May - a European festival of ancient origins marking the beginning of summer - the Germanic Walpurgis Night - the Gaelic Beltane - the Welsh Calan Mai - and, close to my heart, the May devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary - in times not long past we set out the prepubescent to frolic about the Maypole (whose Maypole?) - the International Workers Day since 1889 (though i am aware 2/3 of CC members haven't done a days work since are are pensionistas (yes, revolutionary brothers).

Is anyone celebrating May Day tomorrow?

classic33

Leg End Member
No, I'm not drowning after being struck by an iceberg during a trans-atlantic voyage to the new world. Or anything like it. I'm asking is there anyone out there in CycleChat land that celebrates May Day (?).

May Day - the first day of May - a European festival of ancient origins marking the beginning of summer - the Germanic Walpurgis Night - the Gaelic Beltane - the Welsh Calan Mai - and, close to my heart, the May devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary - in times not long past we set out the prepubescent to frolic about the Maypole (whose Maypole?) - the International Workers Day since 1889 (though i am aware 2/3 of CC members haven't done a days work since are are pensionistas (yes, revolutionary brothers).

Is anyone celebrating May Day tomorrow?
Not be celebrating it today.
Used to go to the Piece Hall years ago for their May Day Monday fund raiser, various local Round Table's.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
My son is on the cusp of being selected for the competition group at the local swimming club. Competing at national level the next step.

Tomorrow - May Day - the posh side of town have their annual swimming event, totally ignoring the general concensus here in Norway of celebrating the workers' free day. This has upset the gf. You do not want to upset the gf. Honestly, her head is massive.

On the other hand, I'm a sporter. It's what i enjoy. I spend half my free time at the pool, the other half at the wrestling mat, with the kids.

Happy May Day everyone :smile:)

Rocky

Hello decadence
Its may day, and Bee Gees fans make the long pilgrimage to Cornwall...

...because they can still se Morris dancing there!

Mind you, all in all It’s a Tragedy….

what happened to the other brothers

Slick

Guru
Never been one for dancing round anyone's May pole, but I do enjoy an extra day off work. My May day celebration currently consists of sitting on the couch watching Fraser trying to work out if I'm going golfing or cycling later. Lovely

Drago

Legendary Member
I dislike Bank Holidays. The weekdays world is for us retirees to enjoy without it being cluttered up by the workies.

Gwylan

Veteran
Taking a picnic, primus etc and heading off with The Management in the direction of the sea. Clouds look ominous.
Wunderground assures me it will be sunny all day.
Time will tell.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just about to tidy up, then an hours instrument practice. Bike ride after lunch, got a repeat prescription form to post at rhe doctors in the next village to make sure I get my impotence medicine.

Top Bottom