May Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Today I've dusted around my flat, changed a light bulb, polished some shoes, potted some flower seeds and bleach spray cleaned my shower.:tired:

Alex321

Veteran
One of my other hobbies is Morris Dancing, and 1st of May is the traditional start of the Morris season. Celebrated by dancing at dawn at a local landmark (In our case, that is Arthurs Stone at the top of Cefn Bryn on the Gower).

At 5:45AM we were dancing there today, followed by dancing at three other spots, two of which were May festivals with a maypole.

Unsurprisingly, I only went for a short 30 minute bike raide after that day.

We have maypoles too, although there's not any specific dancing. Putting it up is a festival in our area, usually the actual putting it up is performed by the local Zimmerer or housebuilding carpenter with an appreciative audience. The pole and the event in our village is organised by the local chamber of commerce and the poles have badges on them representing the businesses in the village.

In Bavaria the maypoles would be up for much of the year and on the night of May 1st the young farmers would tank up and go off to try and hijack the maypole in the next village; literally cut it down and drag it off with a tractor, or put a tree on the top.

Having your maypole nicked or "treed" was a source of great shame for the village and would result in revenge attacks the next year. In the village we lived in the Maypole was on the land of the local butcher, who was a big lad. He would sit at the bottom of the Maypole with two very big Rottweilers. Our Maypole was never stolen.

Apart from this, anything not nailed down would be redistributed in nearby gardens; gates were a particular favourite, followed by shutters.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
One of my other hobbies is Morris Dancing, and 1st of May is the traditional start of the Morris season. Celebrated by dancing at dawn at a local landmark (In our case, that is Arthurs Stone at the top of Cefn Bryn on the Gower).

At 5:45AM we were dancing there today, followed by dancing at three other spots, two of which were May festivals with a maypole.

Unsurprisingly, I only went for a short 30 minute bike raide after that day.

Amazing, I was brought up on the Gower

Top Bottom