May I introduce...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Brooks matching bar tape will set you back the princely sum of £32 IIRC. Outrageous! Charge did (or do) a synthetic version for £15 or so.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Congratulations on the launching of the new bike Arch. It (err....he) looks very handsome. You will of course have to buy the correct colour outfit for riding it now.

Have you baked a celebratory cake to metaphorically break against the frame?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Brooks matching bar tape will set you back the princely sum of £32 IIRC. Outrageous! Charge did (or do) a synthetic version for £15 or so.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get some of the cheaper option... Or maybe find some cork type that tones or matches.

Gerry, I'll be launching him with cake on Sunday. Actually, we had cake yesterday too... Well I had cake, he just leaned against a bench and looked pretty.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Mercury, a Dawes Galaxy of uncertain vintage:

Somehow I've only just seen the pics Arch. Nice job.
As for vintage, I'd say around 1987, based on the canti studs (don't think they appeared on Galaxy's until 86/87) and single bottle cage(I believe later ones had a seat tube cage too)

Are those the original brake calipers? If so, it could be later model.

My 1987 Galaxy came with the older Deore wide canti's - bit like frogglegs in style. If you are still struggling on stopping power, something like CR720 would not look out of place on yours, or there is a Kona cyclocross brake which whilst not quite as "in period" is powerful and easy to adjust.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
porkypete said:
Somehow I've only just seen the pics Arch. Nice job.
As for vintage, I'd say around 1987, based on the canti studs (don't think they appeared on Galaxy's until 86/87) and single bottle cage(I believe later ones had a seat tube cage too)

Are those the original brake calipers? If so, it could be later model.

My 1987 Galaxy came with the older Deore wide canti's - bit like frogglegs in style. If you are still struggling on stopping power, something like CR720 would not look out of place on yours, or there is a Kona cyclocross brake which whilst not quite as "in period" is powerful and easy to adjust.

Ah, sorry, it has bottle bosses on the seat tube, I just don't have a spare cage at the mo to put on there, or spare bolts to put in the holes, it's on the list.

The canti's aren't the original, but are very similar to them (I still have them, but they were a bit rusty, so I went for shiny and new)

I'm fine for stopping power now - any problems I had on the proving run were down to my setting up, and my friends soon had them sorted.

When I got him secondhand, in 2000, we thought he might be an 80's vintage, partly because he had a metallic lilac paintjob and white bar tape, a very 80's look!

The flipped and raised bars worked pretty well last week, so I think I can live with them, which I'm very glad about. Now to save up for the bar tape to match the saddle...

Now, over the weekend, I have to be brave and detach the cables to fit some oilers - I got them, but couldn't work out how to fit them when I built it up: of course, I have to cut the outer to put them in, d'oh! I'm hoping if I can mark the cable at the pinch points, I'll be able to set it all up again relatively easily....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Head Badge, Arch, what about the head badge?

I glued it on after that pic was taken. It looks great. It just fits...

I can't get a good pic indoors, either too dark/blurry or flashed out...

I'm left with one slight dilemma - another headbadge I was given! Not quite as old and grand, but similar.

I'm thinking I might put it on the seat tube or something.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Here's the best of a bad lot of snaps:

View attachment 4797

It's a bit shinier than when you handed it over, I think....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
badkitty said:
Oh, that's a nice badge on a nice bike, Arch! Good work, that girl..:biggrin::biggrin:

(am with you on the brake thing though..can't set them up for toffee..hub brakes were made for me..)

Good luck with the oilers..yikes...isn't that a 5 Spanner job?;)

Not quite. Two spanners - actually three, because one of the yoke nuts is a 9mm, when the rest are 10 or 8 (the joy of using old bits and pieces), so that's my 8/10 spanner, a 10 and a 9, a cable cutter and an old set of compasses to poke the end of the outer with to clear the cut hole (and jab in my finger). Plus of course, a bit of oily rag and a cup of tea.

Brakes seem ok having rewired them, although I suspect there's scope for more adjustment. The oilers are Middleburn ones, in gold, and look quite pretty:

View attachment 4799

I half thought of going out for a spin, but I've gone and got a cold, and have a headache, and a walk round town hasn't made me feel any better so I don't think lugging the bike down two flights of stairs and back up afterwards is going to help.

Arch said:
Brakes seem ok having rewired them, although I suspect there's scope for more adjustment. The oilers are Middleburn ones, in gold, and look quite pretty:

View attachment 4799

Oooh, lovely! I'm coveting your oilers, Arch..but do I want them badly enough to go messing with my brakes? :smile: that's a toughie..you must take pics and report back when tis done...

I half thought of going out for a spin, but I've gone and got a cold, and have a headache, Oh poor you...*hands over lemsip* and a walk round town hasn't made me feel any better so I don't think lugging the bike down two flights of stairs and back up afterwards is going to help.No - stay in, keep warm and get better!

Top Bottom