May I introduce...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mercury, a Dawes Galaxy of uncertain vintage:

View attachment 4697

View attachment 4698

There are a few tweaks to do yet - the bars stretch me a bit, so I'll have to try a shorter stem, or change them, hence they aren't taped yet.

Once we'd freed the sticky link in the chain, and adjusted the brakes a bit, he rides very nicely. I'll have to get used to the downtube shifters again, but eventually I'd like to take the changers up to the bars.

It's been a long time in the rebuild, but I'm chuffed with the end result.

HelenD123

Guru
Nice mudguards! How does he ride? I assume he will be getting his CC debut next weekend?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fine fettlage there. Good work!!!

May one be permitted a small comment? Those brake levers look as though they'd come a lot closer to the ends of the bars, which may solve the reach issues.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecetc, it's a man's Brooks and so far it's ok - I did a few hundred miles on it before the bike was dismantled last time. I tend to slip forward on it a bit sometimes - that may be because I'm stretched forward, so I'll see how it goes.

Helen, he's lovely. Yes, I'm hoping to ride him next week, I will try a fix on the handlebars tomorrow to see if I can get raised up a bit - I was finding it a bit of a strain with so much weight on my arms - it'll take a bit of getting used to I guess anyway. We only went to Naburn and back, so any problem is going to be magnified over more miles. I'm going to flip them over which will raise the ends a bit, and I'll do temp taping job to pad them.

I don't think I've swapped between alu (the FCR I've done over 1000 miles on over the summer) and steel so rapidly before, and it did feel... softer, in a good way. I can see it being just right once I've sorted the reach.

At some point I have to decable him to fit the oilers (I couldn't work out how, turns out I have to cut the outer and insert them), but I'll leave that until after next week, it was such a job to set it all up.

3bikes: cheers. I am pleased. Considering how little I consider matching my own outfits, I'm quite keen to get him looking smart. Eventually I'd like bar tape to match the Brooks....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Fine fettlage there. Good work!!!

May one be permitted a small comment? Those brake levers look as though they'd come a lot closer to the ends of the bars, which may solve the reach issues.

They would. In fact they were, but when I arrived at the rendezvous and asked for some help fettling the brakes (stopping would be nice...*) part of the fix involved moving them to get more pull.

It's been suggested I go for the sort that go on the end of the bars and point forwards, which would make that the riding position of default. I'm considering it...

*I hate setting brakes up. One side drags, you loosen it off, they don't stop you, you tighten them, the other side drags, etc etc... Anyway, I'd set them up, sort of, but they only really provided a gentle hint that slowing down would be good.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Them's odd bars you've got there.

Nitto moustache bars. I want them to work, for sentimental reasons, if they don't, I'll try butterfly bars.

raindog - no, all my bikes are he. Something to do with me being she perhaps.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, if the brakes didn't work, maybe a shorter stem is the answer. Or different levers.
Any mileage tweaking the length of the straddle cables? I know these make a difference to brake performance. I say 'I know' - actually I saw it on Sheldon. What I know about setting up cantilevers you could fit in a box of teabags without taking the teabags out first,,,

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Well, if the brakes didn't work, maybe a shorter stem is the answer. Or different levers.
Any mileage tweaking the length of the straddle cables? I know these make a difference to brake performance. I say 'I know' - actually I saw it on Sheldon. What I know about setting up cantilevers you could fit in a box of teabags without taking the teabags out first,,,

The brakes work now - I'm just useless at setting them up. A couple of chaps set to and put them right for me. Also I don't have a barrel adjuster on the front, I need to install one inline, as the new hanger won't take the old one. I have to decable to install the oilers anyway...

Last night I flipped the bars the other way up, and a quick trial sitting on it in the flat suggests that they'll be much more comfortable and upright. I've got them at quite a steep angle, so they don't look quite as sleek and aero, but I can tweak that. A shorter stem (it used to have a stump neck one) would help but guess what, the bars I have are too big for the stem I have, so to try it, I have to get the other size of bars....

I've taped them, as a temporary measure in the orange tape Soltydog gave me. Oh dear, it does clash, but it'll give me a chance to try them over a longer distance.

Alecetc: I was once in town, unlocking the bike from a stand and an old chap came up and said "is that your bike?" "yes" sez I. "oh" he said, "but how do your...." and then tailed off embarrassed, realising he was about to say "get your leg over?" "like this" I said, mounted and rode off....

Since I only wear a skirt about once a year, if I really must, it's not an issue... Only if I'm very tired, and topple over!

Top Bottom