May'be a silly question about bar end shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
On my trike, the left shifter controls the front cogs and the right shifter the back cogs. no problem so far
My left shifter in up position is large front cog
My right shifter in up position is large back cog.

Are all bar end shifters configured this way out of interest as i am teaching my brain that down with the shifters is up with the gears.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Bar-end levers all work by pulling up on the cable, and releasing it as you push down.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
Yep mine (Shimano Dura-ace 8-9 and Campagnolo Record 10) are both that way round.

I also asked this question on a facebook trike site and one person said that their right hand shifter which controls back cogs is opposite to mine and her left shifter is the same. That is what inspired me to ask on here to see what response i get. Often the silly questions in life can be fruitful and not so silly afterall.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I also asked this question on a facebook trike site and one person said that their right hand shifter which controls back cogs is opposite to mine and her left shifter is the same. That is what inspired me to ask on here to see what response i get. Often the silly questions in life can be fruitful and not so silly afterall.
A 'Rapid Rise' (Low Normal) rear derailleur possibly,

View: https://youtu.be/gQtutZACKUE

It's the same logic as friction shifters (or indeed brifters, come to think of it): working against each mech's spring changes to the larger-of-the-things it changes, so you just have to remember what the impact is.

As a side note, it also makes photographing downtube shifter bikes a challenge, as they look better in 'top' gear - (big at the front, small at the back) but that puts the levers out of alignment ^_^

midlife

Guru
Benelux gears worked "back to front" and so did some suntour front mechs....

Benelux-derailleur.jpg

plantfit

Guru
The ones I fitted to my Trice Q26 are the same as yours m6mal,push the right one away from you and the chain rise's to the larger rear cog,Hope this of some use,

Top Bottom