McDonalds and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I've used several McDonalds around the country when out on rides. They never seem to have cycle racks, so I normally just wheel my bike in with me. Nobody has ever commented, so I assumed it was fine. However yesterday I came across Mr Jobsworth, who said it wasn't allowed as it was against policy. Has anyone else had an issue with this, or equally been able to take their bike in with them without question.

I've heard of cyclists also being turned away from using the drive-thru, so it's clearly discrimination against cyclists.

Linford

I had the same problem a few years ago in a local chain called Burger Star (best in the area by a long way). I had just come back into town from a ride, and wanted to grab some food en-route, didn't have a lock, so picked the bike up (roadie) and walked in there to order, he ordered me out before I had chance to place the order or explain I was happy to wait outside until it was ready once I'd paid... it was fairly embarrassing.
I fired an email off to the MD stating I had used them since they opened in the early 80's and got a grovelling apology with £15 worth of food vouchers. Being treated like that in a public space sticks with you :sad:

Kookas

Über Member
In all fairness, you are taking a mode of transport, with all the road gunk into a high hygiene rated restaurant...! Take a lock and lock it to one of railings. You then have a choice to sit inside by the window with your bike in view or sit on one of the benches outside next to your bike! :smile:

Hmm, you can't really guarantee that people are going to be much cleaner though, can you?

Also, I've never tried using the drive-through myself. Doesn't really make any sense to me that we wouldn't be able to use them - it's not like there are hordes of cyclists around, ready to swoop on their local joint and bring out the queues.

Edit just looked it up. Apparently they don't let you cycle through drive throughs because you might cycle past the car in front without paying, whereas cars are trapped and have identifiable characteristics I.e. a numberplate. Saying that, though, don't you pay before you collect your food?

BikeLiker

Edit just looked it up. Apparently they don't let you cycle through drive throughs because you might cycle past the car in front without paying, whereas cars are trapped and have identifiable characteristics I.e. a numberplate.

If only there was a way to solve this problem. Oh, hang on, why not ask cyclists to pay before giving them the food?
I am a true genius.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
2232054 said:
Policy is it? Get User on the case to send off a FOI request to see if there really is one.
I have asked the question through the contact form on their website. I will let you know what you say.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
In all fairness, you are taking a mode of transport, with all the road gunk into a high hygiene rated restaurant...! Take a lock and lock it to one of railings. You then have a choice to sit inside by the window with your bike in view or sit on one of the benches outside next to your bike! :smile:
Yes a mode of transport like feet, or a pushchair, in terms of the amount of dirt bought in.

Kookas

Über Member
If only there was a way to solve this problem. Oh, hang on, why not ask cyclists to pay before giving them the food?
I am a true genius.

Just realised I got the info from Yahoo Answers. I think they usually do ask for you to pay first, tbh.

akb

Veteran
Yes a mode of transport like feet, or a pushchair, in terms of the amount of dirt bought in.

But bikes in general aren't considered clean. Especially after a 30 mile ride for example. Or a week long winter commute. I'd like to think that most foor traffic through mcds doors showers more than once a week!

Kookas

Über Member
But bikes in general aren't considered clean. Especially after a 30 mile ride for example. Or a week long winter commute. I'd like to think that most foor traffic through mcds doors showers more than once a week!

Their shoes don't, though. I think most people replace their bikes more often than I wash my shoes.

D

Deleted member 20519

Hmm, you can't really guarantee that people are going to be much cleaner though, can you?

Also, I've never tried using the drive-through myself. Doesn't really make any sense to me that we wouldn't be able to use them - it's not like there are hordes of cyclists around, ready to swoop on their local joint and bring out the queues.

Edit just looked it up. Apparently they don't let you cycle through drive throughs because you might cycle past the car in front without paying, whereas cars are trapped and have identifiable characteristics I.e. a numberplate. Saying that, though, don't you pay before you collect your food?

I believe that you pay at the first window and collect at the second.

Kookas

Über Member
I believe that you pay at the first window and collect at the second.

Yeah, I thought so. It's probably a health and safety thing, they don't seem to like bikes that much. Poundland doesn't let me lock my bike to one of their outside display racks for that reason, either (there is no real alternative, though).

Top Bottom