Mcr/Salford Commuters help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Ok, my partner is thinking of cycling to Uni, Salford.....I need a route from the Frog n Bucket to Uni....I dont know that side of Mcr so need some help...shes a very nervous cyclist so a quite route is prefered.
Thanks

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I don't cycle that area often and I don't mind traffic, but isn't there a canal network running from East to West across the city centre? That would get her part of the way there if useable. @dan_bo @fossyant might be able to help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Where you cycling from. Is she going to Salford Uni ?

The routes through the city centre are crap. It's OK round the Manchester Unis campuses. I come in from the south east into Oxford Road area in Manchester.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Riding in from Rochdale, I go greengate through Moston and left on Thorpe rd then down Oldham rd all the way....we're going to try that route a few quiter days in summer just as a tester.
We can use canal all the way into Mcr but its crossing the city thats the pain.

Thats the way I'd go Dan but no chance for her....I'll have to have a nosey around.
Thanks all.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Riding in from Rochdale, I go greengate through Moston and left on Thorpe rd then down Oldham rd all the way....we're going to try that route a few quiter days in summer just as a tester.
We can use canal all the way into Mcr but its crossing the city thats the pain.

Thats the way I'd go Dan but no chance for her....I'll have to have a nosey around.
Thanks all.

Like you say, the Canal's pap for commuting- lumpy and full of Geese/Shopping trolleys/Dog eggs. Where in Rochdale are you?

400bhp

Guru
Once you get over the river Irwell into Salford the cycle options are surprisingly good. Best way is via the foot/ cycle Bridge off water street near the old granada studios.
I don't have time now but will draw a map for you tonight.

Exile

Might be pushed for very quiet routes (it is the city centre, after all), but perhaps try Swan Street, left on to Shudehill, to Withy Grove, then down between Triangle and Urbis (I think you can cycle along there, I know I have before now :whistle:), then out on to Chapel Street, and straight along to the A6 and through to Salford Uni. The roads are either slow-moving (Shudehill) or wide enough that most drivers will pass wide enough not to worry about (Chapel Street). Might be worth a mooch at?

It's not my side of town really as although I do come in from the A62, I'm heading through to Old Trafford so end up on the other side of the centre, but I've been down that way a few times so hopefully that helps and isn't terrible advice.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Quick update.....rode Easter Monday, down to Frog n bucket...right then left down shudehill. quick right left down the side of Victoria St and onto the A6.....simples.
Her indoor was nervous around Shudehill and Parts of the A6 but since then has rode into Mcr solo much much quicker than previously and is gaining leaps and bounds in confidence.....I dropped a clanger by selling the ride saying "if you're tired we'll get the train home"...all trains north cancelled due to works at Vic St(I didnt know)....so we rode home, whoops.

If the weather is kind on sat a ride up to Hebden is on the cards but not taking in Blackstones or Cragg just yet...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the weather is kind on sat a ride up to Hebden is on the cards but not taking in Blackstones or Cragg just yet...
The forecast is looking good here for Saturday.:smile:

The towpath from Littleborough to HB is generally a pretty good surface if you want an easy ride here away from traffic.Just watch out for the 'gifts' left by the pooches of 'generous' dog owners! :cursing:

Probably a bit too lumpy for now, but something you might like to try in the future ... A nice little diversion at Littleborough up Caldermoor and Calderbrook, then drop back down onto the A6033 between Summit and Walsden.

Caldermoor-Calderbrook.gif

It gets you off the main road for a while and has some nice views. NB HEED THE WARNING ON THE MAP ABOUT THE LANDSLIP! The north end of that road is closed to traffic because the road surface is severely broken up. You need to watch out for the worst bit because it will catch you out if you don't! Go slowly after the barrier and walk down a few yards when you get to the broken road rather than risk riding down it.

weak-road-landslip-calderbrook.jpg

Another nice scenic detour is from Walsden to Shade, a steepish little climb on the way over to Lumbutts and Mankinholes, and then a steep descent back to the A646 on the way to HB, having bypassed Todmorden. Very tough in the opposite direction up to Mankinholes!

Walsden-Lumbutts.gif

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Thanks for all the effort you went to going to ColinJ.
Depending on the leg strength of her indoors I think we'll stick to Summit/Walsden and see if a return ride will be attempted plus whilst up there many of the trinket shops I'm sure will be investigated.....I think in Hebden there isn't a shop she hasn't been in 10x....:blush:

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Went out for a quick bumble to Hollingworth lake.......long story short....partner got sideswiped and took out.
4 hours later after an A&E visit we're home(luckily she's generally ok, helmet took a big bash on the rear and saved more serious injury) I've not had a close look at the bike yet however work will be missed so a claim will probably be going in.....:sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Went out for a quick bumble to Hollingworth lake.......long story short....partner got sideswiped and took out.
4 hours later after an A&E visit we're home(luckily she's generally ok, helmet took a big bash on the rear and saved more serious injury) I've not had a close look at the bike yet however work will be missed so a claim will probably be going in.....:sad:
Aaargh - Just when it was all going so well! :eek:

I'm glad that the injuries weren't worse, but that is bound to dent her recently-found confidence. I hope she GWS and isn't put off cycling for life by this.

Top Bottom