McRae Tribute On BBC Website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He was certainly a world class rally driver, but he only won one championship, whereas Hamilton has won 7 in his discipline, and no-one looks like coming close to him. Up there with Senna? Not even slightly.

In any case, the two disciplines could not be more removed, so there is little basis for comparison.

In addition to himself, McRae also killed three people, two of whom were childen, because he was showing off in a helicopter he was not licensed to pilot - if he hadn't done that, I'd be totally on board with a tribute for him, but he did, so fark him.

He was certainly a world class rally driver, but he only won one championship, whereas Hamilton has won 7 in his discipline, and no-one looks like coming close to him. Up there with Senna? Not even slightly.
In any case, the two disciplines could not be more removed, so there is little basis for comparison.
McRae tested in Formula 1, in whatever year it was, & impressed the team involved (from what I recall)

True; differing disciplines
Could Hamilton cope with a course changing after every car?
Or indeed, the dangers of WRC? (no gravel-traps/run-offs there)

In addition to himself, McRae also killed three people, two of whom were childen, because he was showing off in a helicopter he was not licensed to pilot - if he hadn't done that, I'd be totally on board with a tribute for him, but he did, so fark him.
Sadly, that's the downside

Exlaser2

Veteran
McRae was a great driver but his nerve went after he was trapped in his car after a crash. Continued to rally after this with diminishing returns.
Cannot forgive him for killing his own children in a crash that he was totally responsible for. 🙁🙁

Last edited:

Exlaser2

Veteran
Really hope Elfyn Evans wins the title even though it makes me feel really old as I remember his father rallying. 😀

Great driver but his nerve went after he was trapped in his car after a crash. Continued to rally after this with diminishing returns.
Cannot forgive him for killing his own children in a crash that he was totally responsible for. 🙁🙁
One of the kids was his, the other was not - made worse by the fact that said child's parents hadn't been asked if it was ok.

Top Bottom