MD80 troubleshooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoysOfSight

Hi all,

Anyone who's got one of the Muvi clones able to offer some advice? I picked a couple up from eBay after snapping the cable on my "real" camera, and used one on the way into work today no problem.

However, having connected & downloaded the video to the office PC, the camera seems to have gone into a state of shock - I can turn it off by using a paperclip on the 'reset' button but otherwise when I switch it on again, it gives me a couple of seconds of blue LED before the red one comes on as well, and it sits there with both lights solid, responding to nothing.

Nothing in the manual... any suggestions?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mine's just freaked out as well, annoyingly. It'll only see the supplied 2GB card, and my own 16GB card as 2MB. Both worked fine previously.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like it needs a long recharge.

Whilst charging the blue light alternately flashes blue/ red and will stay solid blue when recharged. I found the mains connector to be useless and charge mine off the pc.

If that does not work it might be faulty.
I have found them to be a bit iffy TBH but others have got on fine with them.
After a month of use mine will not recharge fully no matter how long they are on charge.

OP
OP
J

JoysOfSight

Hmm. When I plug it into the PC it does the same thing (comes up both lights solid).

I got them because I thought they'd be good for tailcams after I get the main one up and running, and £10 is nothing really. But £10 for one trip is a bit pants! ;)

BSRU

A Human Being
JoysOfSight said:
Hmm. When I plug it into the PC it does the same thing (comes up both lights solid).

I got them because I thought they'd be good for tailcams after I get the main one up and running, and £10 is nothing really. But £10 for one trip is a bit pants! ;)

I found they charge alot better connected to mains than a pc.

Matthames

Über Member
My camera is having issues of its own. I am at the moment trying to recover 40mins of footage that I had taken today. All because the camera is fussy about the file system. I got a corrupted stream yesterday because the memory ran out, but that was to do with a quirk with my operating system where it will leave a fingerprint on the memory card when I have deleted a file. So to properly delete it I need to remove the file from the trashcan. Once I have copied the saved data across I am going to format the memory card and start again.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Also, try removing the media (smart) card and wiping it, on damp days it accumulates "gunk" that interferes with the cams operation.

Also, ...is the vox accidentally switched on? this plays havoc with my PC if left on

OP
OP
J

JoysOfSight

Hmm, I'm not sure. But it should do something either plugged into the PC or standalone, with or without the card in (which I've also formatted).

But nope, blue light on, red flashes once then comes on solid, no response to buttons.

Not good for a first time out, at all. ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
JoysOfSight said:
Hmm, I'm not sure. But it should do something either plugged into the PC or standalone, with or without the card in (which I've also formatted).

But nope, blue light on, red flashes once then comes on solid, no response to buttons.

Not good for a first time out, at all. :smile:

I had the same (except a flash then solid green and it was just gunk on the card.

Odd tho, do you hav the fault finder for the lights (what each one means)

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If it has had a knock check if the PCB has moved. Mine did that when I dropped my helmet. I could turn it on, but not off. Opened it up and checked the microswitches lined up with the buttons.

marinbearvalley

JoysOfSight said:

Not good for a first time out, at all. :smile:

That is how mine has always worked. Solid red and blue when charging. (doesn't stop charging so you need to unplug before the battery gets too hot and damaged)

Pressing "mode" alternates between webcam and file access. (if you have the driver installed)

Don't forget there are different versions of the clones, some operate slightly differently.

Don't know about the mains usb charger because mine literally exploded (when first plugged in), damaging my mains. (I've mentioned this before)

g00se

Veteran
Someone posted recently about the same issue. They solved it by opening it up and reseating the lens unit which had come loose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah ha...that's the plastic shelled one....... I have the AEE MD80 - ie. the Muvi under a different badge.

Mine goes red on charging, then off when charged. Blue on standby, and flashing green on record. Steady green on card full. Get 1mb per 30 mins mainly.... Switch vox on first, then power.....starts recording. To stop switch vox off, led goes blue, switch power off.

PS the camera hates left over files, hence the quick format....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I got one of these today. Annoyingly, it won't sit straight anywhere on my Bell helmet (like my old Archos lipstick-style headcam). Thought I could wedge it into the vents at the front, but they make it sit leaning over and not pointing straight.

I think I need to get a new helmet with more flat spots on it!!

Top Bottom