Me1 Dvr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Looks interesting!

PrettyboyTim

It's a shame all the supported bitrates are so high. With MPEG4 you should be able to maintain reasonable quality at a much lower bitrate, which would allow you store much more on a single memory card.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

PrettyboyTim said:
It's a shame all the supported bitrates are so high. With MPEG4 you should be able to maintain reasonable quality at a much lower bitrate, which would allow you store much more on a single memory card.

Still allows up to 8 hours recording on a single 16gb CF Card though. Should be enough. If not, have a 2nd CF card as spare.

To get 8 hours recording, would need to change batteries at least once though, unless it allows for an external battery pack for the unit as well as the camera.

If only I had a spare £800 :biggrin:.

Still it does look like a nice piece of kit. Solid state recorders are definitely the way to go.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

magnatom said:
If only I had a spare £800 :biggrin:.

Still it does look like a nice piece of kit. Solid state recorders are definitely the way to go.

More like £1,000.00 after adding a good camera, 16GB CF Card, plus having enough battery power and chargers.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

I phoned http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/.
Unfortunately, the unit does not allow for an external power source ;)

They advised instead something like the PVR-500r at
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/hard-disk-video-recorder.htm
which does support external power packs.

You can buy a 4.8v 4400mAh pack for around £15, which should extend the record life of the PVR-500r so as not have to keep on changing batteries.

A lot cheaper, but unit isn't weather proof.

davidwalton said:
I phoned http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/.
Unfortunately, the unit does not allow for an external power source ;)

They advised instead something like the PVR-500r at
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/hard-disk-video-recorder.htm
which does support external power packs.

You can buy a 4.8v 4400mAh pack for around £15, which should extend the record life of the PVR-500r so as not have to keep on changing batteries.

A lot cheaper, but unit isn't weather proof.

My Archos system is not waterproof, but the Archos 404 itself sits inside my rucksack (which has a waterproof cover), the cable has a controller and microphone which I just tuck inside my jacket if it rains and the camera itself doesn't appear to let water in.

How long are your rides? You may be able to keep everything dry for a reasonable amount of time. Cables don't seem to mind getting wet!

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

magnatom said:
My Archos system is not waterproof, but the Archos 404 itself sits inside my rucksack (which has a waterproof cover), the cable has a controller and microphone which I just tuck inside my jacket if it rains and the camera itself doesn't appear to let water in.

How long are your rides? You may be able to keep everything dry for a reasonable amount of time. Cables don't seem to mind getting wet!

Longest regular ride will be 120 miles round trip, 60 miles out and back the next day. Not using external power, I would have to stop every few hours or so, and carry silly numbers of spare batteries.

BTW- Can't have a rucksack as bike is a Bent ;) Needs to all fit in a bum bag.

See attachment for bike. Mine will have disk brakes,fairing, and other options as well.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Done a little homework about DVR's. Pretty much all of them come with old style batteries, not the latest and best, so record times are anything up to 10 times less than what they could be.

You can buy NiMH batteries with up to 10,000MAh, from 1.2V. None use these as external power packs though = WHY???

You should be able to buy a good solid state DV recorder, with a good 520 line camera, 16gb SD card, power pack that would last 8 hours on record running the unit and camera, and charger, for between £400 to £450. A similar price for a HD DVR of 30GB. However, nobody is selling that solution :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

After speaking to both DogCamSport and ActionCameras, I am amazed as to why they bother.

Neither company were interested in doing something about batteries or providing better solutions on recording times. They want someone else to improve them. However, both companies said that battery life improvements was what just about every customer wants.

Go figure. A case of they don't care, even when there is a solution they COULD adopt and make their own so quickly and cheaply. Hardly inspires me to want to buy from them.

For the technically minded, go to http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/single_cells.html
They sell there batteries you can make in to power packs that is up to 13,000MAh rated. Anything up to 10 times more than what is being made available from DogCamSport and ActionCameras

I should point out, that I have enough money for the battery, certainly not for a new camera though. The joys of parenthood!;)

Top Bottom