Measuring and Saving Electricity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I daren't tell Maz that my 2 poweramps consume 40 watts each when not doing anything (they're never switched off) and the Pre-amp about 20 watts so that's like having a big lightbulb on permanantly. mind you when they're both 'flying' they can use about 260 watts each

I daren't tell Maz that my 2 poweramps consume 40 watts each when not doing anything (they're never switched off) and the Pre-amp about 20 watts so that's like having a big lightbulb on permanantly. mind you when they're both 'flying' they can use about 260 watts each

Why wouldn't you switch them off when not in use ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member

The big capacitors don't like cooling down and being warmed up again, due to how they were originally mounted this makes them leak and drip onto one of the boards beneath ruining it. Luckily this can be repaired and new boards supplied from the factory (not bad for a 1967 design) they also modify the 4 main/big capacitors so they sit the other way up so that instead of leaking they just 'breathe' the other capacitors also aren't keen on being turned on and off and the advice from any high end HiFi source is you should leave them 'on' wherever possible (regardless of brand) with the exception of Valve Amps but many of those have a 'standby' switch which turns off the power to the Valve 'heater elements' whilst leaving everything else powered up.
Lefty went a couple of years back and the bill with postage both ways was @ £300 but that was fully rebuilt to 'as new' by the QUAD service dept and 'righty' will go back as and when I can afford it to be modded hopefully before it leaks.

Paul fron PS Audio (very high end/expensive gear) explains it here, the pertinent part is at @ 1min 55

View: https://youtu.be/v3-z2grAmP8

The big capacitors don't like cooling down and being warmed up again, due to how they were originally mounted this makes them leak and drip onto one of the boards beneath ruining it. Luckily this can be repaired and new boards supplied from the factory (not bad for a 1967 design) they also modify the 4 main/big capacitors so they sit the other way up so that instead of leaking they just 'breathe' the other capacitors also aren't keen on being turned on and off and the advice from any high end HiFi source is you should leave them 'on' wherever possible (regardless of brand) with the exception of Valve Amps but many of those have a 'standby' switch which turns off the power to the Valve 'heater elements' whilst leaving everything else powered up.
Lefty went a couple of years back and the bill with postage both ways was @ £300 but that was fully rebuilt to 'as new' by the QUAD service dept and 'righty' will go back as and when I can afford it to be modded hopefully before it leaks.

Paul fron PS Audio (very high end/expensive gear) explains it here, the pertinent part is at @ 1min 55

View: https://youtu.be/v3-z2grAmP8

Sweet baby cheeses. What's wrong with a good old Amstrad HiFi ? 😊

raleighnut

Legendary Member
100 watts, running 24x7. At today's electricity costs, that's about £250 a year.

Yep it would be but luckily we are on a fixed price tariff which runs until next April so have yet to see any price increase in either Gas or Electricity. I should also add we have not 'switched' supplier for 20 years where others we know have and now been 'bitten in the bum' by the collapse of various smaller 'cheaper' suppliers.
We used to get loads of 'door knockers' attempting to get us to switch and we always refused and also would not tell them who our current supplier was but we pay less than a grand a year for a dual fuel deal on a 3 bed semi. OK we also spend about £200 on Logs for the woodburner but that is more of a luxury but in a catastrophic failure we could at a pinch boil the kettle or heat tinned food on it.

Different devices but same thing (not switching off) - a lot of people with games consoles don't turn them off as they can receive updates overnight and some of the updates can very large. I turn mine off now as I'd rather save the cash as this is definately a convenience rather than a need to keep it on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How we all doing with KWh ?

Made some big changes, but from the last 3 months:-

Electricity is averaging about 22 KWh per day, gas 1-1.5KWh

Gas would probably rise to 4 KWh in cooler months - looking at Feb/March bill.

I was averaging 40KWH per day or more in Feb/March on Electric, but that's with heating the hot tub - it's now only on when we decide to use it (filter/pump kept running though). Using the hot tub (from readings) then that hits 10KWh extra a day, so a single use would cost say £3.

Cost wise my combined bill, at new prices is between £210 and £245 per month. My DD was increased but I'm currently paying £320pm, so around £100 over payment per month at the higher rates. Just requested some of it back as I'm £500 in credit, and it will keep climbing until use starts to increase as things get colder.

No smart meter, but I submit monthly readings to Scottish Power, and my bill is updated immediately. I also have control over the DD's anthough still paying over the odds as we used more electricity in the past, so my 'trend' for reduced energy has only been since February.

Top Bottom