Measuring and Saving Electricity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Started to check my daily electricity usage by taking the imp act measurement from my meter - only done a couple days seem to using between 11 + 14 kwh per day - if indeed imp act is KWH ? Found this on google which confused the hell out of me

"According to the EIA, in 2017, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential home customer was 10,399 kilowatt hours (kWh), an average of 867 kWh per month. That means the average household electricity consumption kWh per day is 28.9 kWh (867 kWh / 30 days)."

Any anyone explain the above ?

Any saving tips appreciated ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just use the meter's reading. We were using alot of power with the hot tub heated. Cut the bill in half by turning it to it's lowest setting.

Monitor it every few days, pop it in a spreadsheet, then once you see a pattern, just drop to weekly and monthly. I'm now measuring monthly or every two weeks if I remember. Oven, long showers, dryer are big users.

Started to check my daily electricity usage by taking the imp act measurement from my meter - only done a couple days seem to using between 11 + 14 kwh per day - if indeed imp act is KWH ? Found this on google which confused the hell out of me

"According to the EIA, in 2017, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential home customer was 10,399 kilowatt hours (kWh), an average of 867 kWh per month. That means the average household electricity consumption kWh per day is 28.9 kWh (867 kWh / 30 days)."

Any anyone explain the above ?

Any saving tips appreciated ?

Just looking at my last month's electric bill it's about 16kwh a day including charging the car so you are in the right ball park.

I set my smart meter to see what's currently being used so I can track down anything heavy being left on. Tbh the heavy users - you will know. Oven, toaster, kettle, microwave.

I don't see the American data as relevant. Even their fridges are double the size of ours.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Just looking at my last month's electric bill it's about 16kwh a day including charging the car so you are in the right ball park.

I set my smart meter to see what's currently being used so I can track down anything heavy being left on. Tbh the heavy users - you will know. Oven, toaster, kettle, microwave.

I don't see the American data as relevant. Even their fridges are double the size of ours.

No the american data just confused me - its starts of saying 10 is the average - then concludes that 29 is the average.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Been checking some deals for one of the kids and am I right in thinking that fixed rate deals are NOT subject to the kwh unit price cap?

I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere but cannot recollect exactly where.

vickster

Legendary Member
Been checking some deals for one of the kids and am I right in thinking that fixed rate deals are NOT subject to the kwh unit price cap?

I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere but cannot recollect exactly where.

Yep pretty sure it’s only variable.
Doubt you’ll find a fixed anywhere close to the current cap.
MSE tends to be a good source of info on energy ‘deals’

presta

Guru
Are you in the USA? If not, there isn't much point in worrying over their eyewatering electricity consumption.

Here are the Ofgem Stats for 2017 & 2019:
1653481540503.png

1653482271854.png

(Class 2 meters are Economy 7 etc., that vary the tariff by time and use.)

My current consumption averaged over the last four years is 2170kWh for a 3 bed semi with only me occupying it.
These are my estimated usages by appliance:
1653482620945.png

Taking your consumption as 12.5kWh/day for 365 days would give 4560kWh PA if usage were flat throughout the year, but it typically isn't. Based on this distribution from Ovo energy, your consumption would be nearer 5600kWh PA:

1653485324832.png

Either way, your consumption is high by UK standards, and as the trend in electricity consumption is a reduction of about 2% PA, even at 4560kWh PA you'd be well over the 75th centile by now.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
but it doesn't mention mega watt hours does it ?
Not in so many words, but 1,000 kWh is 1 MWh....
You appear to have missed the thousand multiplier in the first number (or assumed that the "," and "." are both decimal place markers).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yep pretty sure it’s only variable.
Doubt you’ll find a fixed anywhere close to the current cap.
MSE tends to be a good source of info on energy ‘deals’

Looking at the fixed deals they are currently offering they look like a bit of a con.

One (fixed until Aug 23) is 13p/kwh above the latest capped unit price that they are now paying. Plus it is only the units used that is capped - the daily standing charge is still variable at the mercy of a number of parties with vested interests.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Not in so many words, but 1,000 kWh is 1 MWh....

You appear to have missed the thousand multiplier in the first number (or assumed that the "," and "." are both decimal place markers).

Yeah - that clears it up. I was reading the "," as a decimal point !!!!!!!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Are you in the USA? If not, there isn't much point in worrying over their eyewatering electricity consumption.

Here are the Ofgem Stats for 2017 & 2019:
View attachment 646196

View attachment 646197
(Class 2 meters are Economy 7 etc., that vary the tariff by time and use.)

My current consumption averaged over the last four years is 2170kWh for a 3 bed semi with only me occupying it.
These are my estimated usages by appliance:
View attachment 646198

Taking your consumption as 12.5kWh/day for 365 days would give 4560kWh PA if usage were flat throughout the year, but it typically isn't. Based on this distribution from Ovo energy, your consumption would be nearer 5600kWh PA:

View attachment 646203

Either way, your consumption is high by UK standards, and as the trend in electricity consumption is a reduction of about 2% PA, even at 4560kWh PA you'd be well over the 75th centile by now.

the concerning thing is - the few days I have been monitoring only I have been wfh !!! - the weekend should be interesting

Top Bottom