Measuring distance in cake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here comes the science bit.
During exercise you don't burn as many calories as your bike computer/you might think.
What the bike ride does is raise your metabolism, so it's not until much later your cake, ham roll, chips energy is used. What the cake (sugar and the flour) will do is spike your sugar levels which will give you a sugar rush but that's only a wee fix. The sugar drop a while later could really hamper your ride home.
For me however, it's ice cream no matter the temperature. I use the excuse it does have some protein.

Lullabelle

Banana
Name and shame them!:whistle:

The Ocean, Aylestone Road.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
During exercise you don't burn as many calories as your bike computer/you might think.
What the bike ride does is raise your metabolism, so it's not until much later your cake, ham roll, chips energy is used. What the cake (sugar and the flour) will do is spike your sugar levels which will give you a sugar rush but that's only a wee fix. The sugar drop a while later could really hamper your ride home.
For me however, it's ice cream no matter the temperature. I use the excuse it does have some protein.
And that's why I graze. Little and often*, that's my motto. :thumbsup:

* Yes, yes, I know. More like often and lots thereof. But it's still grazing...

The same argument re protein can be used with cake as well - an ingredient called egg and another called milk... Which both go into making cake... :whistle:

My 'cake' also includes black beans which again contain protein - vegan black bean brownies... :laugh:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
All rides of over 10 miles must have at least 1 cake and coffee stop. Rides of 30 miles must have 2 cake and coffee stops. Rides of 50 miles must have at least 3 coffee stops.
Don't even think to question the above - they're the rules.
If I ever want to lose weight, I will have to stop cycling as I find that the more I cycle, the heavier I get. I haven't worked out what causes this strange phenomena of gaining weight despite exercise......I think it must be increased muscle mass.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I like a coffee stop so for our 30 miles on Saturday I had a coffee (no cake) at Linlithgow, on Sunday (42 miles) I had a coffee and a muffin. I think that's about the right balance :smile:

When I was 16 I used to go out for 25-30 miles most nights and on the way back I used to stop at the chippie and get that fine example of Scottish cordon bleu, a deep fried pizza. Strapped to my rack, by the time I got home the fat had soaked through the paper. I reckon you could do LEJOG on one of those (though you would never hear traffic over the sound of your arteries hardening).

Fubar

Guru
The same argument re protein can be used with cake as well - an ingredient called egg and another called milk... Which both go into making cake... :whistle:

My 'cake' also includes black beans which again contain protein - vegan black bean brownies... :laugh:

Black Bean Cake?!? Weirdo... :tongue:

Fubar

Guru
I like a coffee stop so for our 30 miles on Saturday I had a coffee (no cake) at Linlithgow, on Sunday (42 miles) I had a coffee and a muffin. I think that's about the right balance :smile:

When I was 16 I used to go out for 25-30 miles most nights and on the way back I used to stop at the chippie and get that fine example of Scottish cordon bleu, a deep fried pizza. Strapped to my rack, by the time I got home the fat had soaked through the paper. I reckon you could do LEJOG on one of those (though you would never hear traffic over the sound of your arteries hardening).

Many years ago we used to get a "deep fried pizza supper" from the chip van after the pub on a Friday night - went there once sober and got one xx(, never ate another after that!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, let's see if science can help at all with this conundrum.

Hard-ish riding consumes somewhere around 600 calories per hour. It varies, but that's a reasonable average. Let's assume you need to replenish those consumed calories in the form, exclusively, of cake. Now the problem is which cake? They all have different calorific values so this becomes a bit of a minefield. Me, I'm a carrot cake kinda guy so I'm going to assume that we all like carrot cake. I'm also assuming wel'll all go for the version with the buttercream in the middle.

Well, one slice of said 9 inch diameter carrot cake is about 850 calories. That's the fully-loaded fat boy carrot cake. This is about 1/10 of the cake which seems like a bit of a modest slice but there you go. So you need a slice of the cake about every 1hour 25minutes just to keep up with the calorie loss

But....what about the cappuccino I hear you cry. Well, a medium cappuccino, no choccy sprinkles, no sugar, full fat milk is about 163 calories. So if you have the cake and coffee, you can only stop once every 1hour 41minutes

Fubar

Guru
OK, let's see if science can help at all with this conundrum.

Hard-ish riding consumes somewhere around 600 calories per hour. It varies, but that's a reasonable average. Let's assume you need to replenish those consumed calories in the form, exclusively, of cake. Now the problem is which cake? They all have different calorific values so this becomes a bit of a minefield. Me, I'm a carrot cake kinda guy so I'm going to assume that we all like carrot cake. I'm also assuming wel'll all go for the version with the buttercream in the middle.

Well, one slice of said 9 inch diameter carrot cake is about 850 calories. That's the fully-loaded fat boy carrot cake. This is about 1/10 of the cake which seems like a bit of a modest slice but there you go. So you need a slice of the cake about every 1hour 25minutes just to keep up with the calorie loss

But....what about the cappuccino I hear you cry. Well, a medium cappuccino, no choccy sprinkles, no sugar, full fat milk is about 163 calories. So if you have the cake and coffee, you can only stop once every 1hour 41minutes

Sounds about right, I would go for every 2 hours I.e. 2hour ride=no cake, 4 hour ride=1 cake stop, 6hour ride=2 etc, etc

Top Bottom