measuring for quick release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KayInFL

I am NOT a cyclist! A friend gave me an old mountain bike and I'd like to put a quick release on the front wheel so I can put it in the car. No budget to speak of, so can't take this to a bike shop for help.
I bought 1 Pair MTB Quick Release Bicycle Hub, Road Mountain Bike Front & Rear Axle Hollow Shaft Set with Standard Spacing for about $10 on Amazon (that's my budget) but they seem to be too short. Product description:
  • The short release lever for front wheel, hollow shaft size: approx.11cm / 4.33", quick release: approx.16cm / 6.3"
I have to loosen the nuts almost till they fall off, and I just manage to fight the wheel on. Then I'm worried there's no thread holding the nuts on.
outside measure.png
inside measure.png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome to CC :welcome:
Surely the cheapest way for you to put the bike in the car would be to carry a 15mm spanner, it does not take long to undo the nuts.
Remember to release the brakes first, and remember to re-engage then after you put the wheel back on ^_^
If you are going to ride this bike, you are a cyclist!

OP
OP
K

KayInFL

Hi and welcome to CC :welcome:
Surely the cheapest way for you to put the bike in the car would be to carry a 15mm spanner, it does not take long to undo the nuts.

That's true -- I had been under the impression that a quick release would be very convenient, and I've already got so many obstacles to my getting out and exercising, I hoped at least one could be removed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
From what I understand the OP has to slacken off the nut on the QR to get the wheel in and out of the fork. The fork legs have "Lawyer lips" to prevent the wheel from falling out if someone is stupid and brain dead enough to try and ride without locking the QR lever. That means the nut opposite the lever does have to be undone first (And re-tightened afterwards) and it does note denote a problem.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP :welcome: - let us have a link to what you've bought. Agree with both comments above.
I bought 1 Pair MTB Quick Release Bicycle Hub, Road Mountain Bike Front & Rear Axle Hollow Shaft Set with Standard Spacing for about $10 on Amazon (that's my budget) but they seem to be too short. Product description:
  • The short release lever for front wheel, hollow shaft size: approx.11cm / 4.33", quick release: approx.16cm / 6.3"
I have to loosen the nuts almost till they fall off, and I just manage to fight the wheel on. Then I'm worried there's no thread holding the nuts on.
In your bullet above, the hollow axle is for the front but the QR lever is the rear one (and the rear hollow axle will be 140mm). You should have a 122mm QR lever: that's for the front. "I'm worried there's no thread holding the nuts on" - with QR axles, there is no need for nuts.
In case it helps, here is a link to the famous Sheldon Brown site:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

BeardyAndyM

From what I understand the OP has to slacken off the nut on the QR to get the wheel in and out of the fork. The fork legs have "Lawyer lips" to prevent the wheel from falling out if someone is stupid and brain dead enough to try and ride without locking the QR lever. That means the nut opposite the lever does have to be undone first (And re-tightened afterwards) and it does note denote a problem.

Never knew they were called Lawyer lips, every days a school day!

OP
OP
K

KayInFL

What about just grinding down the lawyer lips? That would make it easier to slip the wheel off and on...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What about just grinding down the lawyer lips? That would make it easier to slip the wheel off and on...
Done that a few times.

Top Bottom