Meat and dairy analogues/replacers, what's good and what's bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Just do an internet search for spicy bean and lentil dishes and you will find plenty of meat-free main meal dishes that are good-tasting and high in protein. We are not vegetarians but these form part of our standard recipe set because they are just good meals in their own right. Here's an example:
https://www.athoughtforfood.net/blog/moroccan-carrot-and-lentil-salad
Tuck in.

Tribansman

Veteran
Oatly Barista milk* is by far the best thing I've had in tea/coffee.

The fake cheeses are plenty good enough to use in something like a sandwich. (They're edible on their own, but not really much fun)

I have yet to find a tasty cheese-cake - this is a massive hole in my post-lactose life :sad:

(*Lactose-free milk and yoghourts are much nicer than the non-dairy version, but that's cheating, sorry!)

Yeah, the barista milk is great. But i found the Califia Farms one even better (both their 'regular' and barista versions) - really creamy and lovely taste. Sainsbury's sell it.

I struggle with vegan cheese too, but I recently found Oatly's garlic and cucumber cheese spread which was divine, hasn't got that weird smokey taste that almost all cheese alternatives have.

Aldi or Lidl vegan 'no beef' pasties or Ginsters vegan are pretty good too. You need to like black pepper though!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@T4tomo and @Once a Wheeler I should have made the OP clearer!
Yes of course veg in themselves are brill and there is no need to have meat substitutes etc at all. I make plenty of recipes as you describe But that's not what am interested in here :-)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Here's the Quorn production process, it's tomorrow's world today.

View attachment 574492
Back in 1976...ICI's Pruteen

What is claimed to be the world's largest fermenter will form the heart of a novel operation due to go up at Imperial Chemical Industries' Billingham complex on England's east coast. Inside will grow bacteria that after harvesting and drying will be the basis of a high-protein animal feed supplement, tradenamed Pruteen. Annual output capability will be 50,000 to 75,000 metric tons. When the $70 million facility begins operation late in 1979, it will mark a new phase in the activities of ICT's agricultural division.

Apart from the unusual fermenter, the technology will include a number of unique features. The bacteria, a strain of Methylophilus methylotrophus, will grow on a mixture of air, ammonia, methanol, and nutrient salts. Fermentation will be continuous. A novel flocculation and flotation technique will be used to recover the bacteria. And the entire operation will run under sterile conditions.

Came online in the early 80s and I think died a death due to Methanol being an expensive fuel for fermentation. However, the learnings went-on to deliver Quorn with Rank Hovis McDougall.

As a Food student at the time it was a brave new world!

The rest is history....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

:okay: I do like a Greggs vegan sausage roll, they are quite decent.
Hoh yes! Not just Greggs - there are lots of yummy ones around now. I would genuinely fail a blind taste test! No point now in buying the meaty ones, AOTBE.

I've had lots of nice veggie bangers too, but I can't remember the brands now - oh hang-on, "Cauldron" were the most recent ones, highly nommable. Linda Mc products of all sorts have been consistenly good over the years.

A moan: Why-o-why are the spicy beanburgers in the supermarkets aimed at the super-hot lovers??

Last edited:
We’ve tried quite a few of the sausage/burger replacements, and really like the Linda McC. items.
Mrs SnG absolutely hated the Richmond version of their sausages, as they were to similar to the meat versions, so we don’t have them anymore.
For milk, we use an Alpro organic wholebean variety, with only water and soya as ingredients. So many of the others appear to have more additives, which we are trying to reduce.
When we can make the time, we prefer to use whole foods, and cook from scratch, but it’s not always possible.
We have tried the Quorn Turkey type thing, in a ballotine(?) which was pleasant at Christmas, and the Lind McC. ‘Beef’ type thing too, which is also pleasant, although both are obviously heavily processed.
It’s a tough thing to stay clear of meat and dairy, but we are happy trying.
We had a vegan (duck) dish at a local Chinese restaurant, back in the days when it was possible, (remember them?) and one of the family, a non veggie, tasted it first, and then called the waiter to remind them it should have been vegan duck. He checked with the chef, and returned advising it was correct, when followed by a further complaint, the chef came in, tried it, and said ‘No, that is the vegan duck, without a doubt”. I don’t like duck, nor vegan duck.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t like the pastry on vegan sausage rolls...I like the full fat butter variety.
Before I quit meat, had a meat and a vegan sausage roll from Greggs and the vegan one was pretty grim in comparison! Odd taste and texture
Ginsters do one which is ok I guess if desperate

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Back in 1976...ICI's Pruteen

What is claimed to be the world's largest fermenter will form the heart of a novel operation due to go up at Imperial Chemical Industries' Billingham complex on England's east coast. Inside will grow bacteria that after harvesting and drying will be the basis of a high-protein animal feed supplement, tradenamed Pruteen. Annual output capability will be 50,000 to 75,000 metric tons. When the $70 million facility begins operation late in 1979, it will mark a new phase in the activities of ICT's agricultural division.

Apart from the unusual fermenter, the technology will include a number of unique features. The bacteria, a strain of Methylophilus methylotrophus, will grow on a mixture of air, ammonia, methanol, and nutrient salts. Fermentation will be continuous. A novel flocculation and flotation technique will be used to recover the bacteria. And the entire operation will run under sterile conditions.

Came online in the early 80s and I think died a death due to Methanol being an expensive fuel for fermentation. However, the learnings went-on to deliver Quorn with Rank Hovis McDougall.

As a Food student at the time it was a brave new world!

The rest is history....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

I once worked for a company that tried to make a Quorn type product. It's remarkably difficult!

Top Bottom