Meat and dairy analogues/replacers, what's good and what's bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
Having done and survived Veganuary (and also having a professional interest in all things meaty/non-meat analogue), what products have the CC Massive found 'acceptable' as meat and dairy replacement/substitutes?

Helmans Vegan Mayo is good-enough for everyday use
Viv-Era and Naked Glory burgers seem to fare well.

These are good from Iceland:
1613651639147.png

I have used some of these products, 2 different varieties and have worked well

1613651832412.png

Richmond's Vegan Sausages are better than their meat ones!
I have also had some good Tofu products too and Veggie minces (can't recall the brands)
I have had some Jackfruit products and they were rank!

Cheese seems a real issue though. Have tried the Violife prods and they're just about bearable if you're a fan of processed cheese....

So what have you found that's good?

EDIT: THIS IS ABOUT ANIMAL PRODUCT SUBSTITUTES/ANALOGUES NOT DISHES MADE FROM VEG/FUNGI PER SE....

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I still eat meat but am dairy-free. Here's my take on some products:

Alpro Almond milk (either fresh or UHT): Extremely good once you get used to it. I can't really tell the difference between it and cows milk now.
Alpro custard: Tastes very sweet and artificial but better than nothing.
Soya milk: Tastes like raw pancake mix
Any dairy free cheese: 'orrible, would rather go without

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oatly oat milk, but get the 'whole' version if you can, it's much creamier and fuller. I still have dairy milk in my coffee and tea, but oat milk in cereal. My wife has gone full oat and doesn't like dairy in her tea any more.

'Naked Glory' sausages and meatballs are nicer than the meat versions they're designed to replace, IMO.

Tofu and tempeh in stir fries, and I've always been partial to Quorn. It's fungus grown in a massive tank like proper sci-fi future food was always supposed to be.

Oatly Barista milk* is by far the best thing I've had in tea/coffee.

The fake cheeses are plenty good enough to use in something like a sandwich. (They're edible on their own, but not really much fun)

I have yet to find a tasty cheese-cake - this is a massive hole in my post-lactose life :sad:

(*Lactose-free milk and yoghourts are much nicer than the non-dairy version, but that's cheating, sorry!)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Quorn pieces and mince are OK. IIRC there is a Quorn chicken which I didn't enjoy.
The Linda McCartney range is generally pretty good, but as with any food, it will depend upon your personal taste.
Tofu I find best marinaded.
Dairy free cheese is horrible and doesn't melt like real cheese.
(Not a vegetarian, but Mrs B and our two daughters are, so I tend to eat whatever is in the house).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oatly Barista milk* is by far the best thing I've had in tea/coffee.

The fake cheeses are plenty good enough to use in something like a sandwich. (They're edible on their own, but not really much fun)

I have yet to find a tasty cheese-cake - this is a massive hole in my post-lactose life :sad:

(*Lactose-free milk and yoghourts are much nicer than the non-dairy version, but that's cheating, sorry!)
Apparently there is huge variation in the lactose content of various cheeses, but I've yet to find a reliable reference. I've switched mainly to hummus as a replacement in sandwiches and jacket spuds etc.

I do prefer oat milk to lactose free.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Having done and survived Veganuary (and also having a professional interest in all things meaty/non-meat analogue), what products have the CC Massive found 'acceptable' as meat and dairy replacement/substitutes?
When i have a vegetarian or vegan meal, the main thing I use is vegetables:rolleyes:. Then supplement the protein element with something like chickpeas, cashew or other nuts etc. Its normally something like a chilli curry or stir fry, but I do a mean nut loaf.

I'm not sure the "no-meat" meat replacement really works, better to aim for a balanced diet without meat, than try to replicate the centre piece of the meal with a strange soya creation.

there is no decent vegan cheese substitute - they all taste dreadful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Linda Mc mozzarella burgers are ok
toofoo naked tofu is better than cauldron.
not found a veggie sausage I really like, the Richmond ones are horrible (just like their “meat“ ones!). i might try the ones suggested by @winjim
Quorn has never appealed due to the fact it’s pink and highly processed!

I like the Pukka veggie pair for a cheap dirty option!
a Higgidy cauli cheese pie when going posh :biggrin:

no milk substitutes for me....lots of skimmed consumed!

I don’t eat meat anymore, but I do eat fish and shellfish 2-3 days a week

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you get vegan venison or fish substitutes?
Might be interested in trying them - if available.
Not really. There are No fish fingers... https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/no-fish-fingers-6-crispy-coated-fingers-180g/76388.html
https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/vegan-fishless-fingers
https://www.vbites.com/product/fish-free-fish-fingers/

I just eat the real thing myself!

...tbh I tend to avoid the pretend meat things...I stopped eating meat as I completely went off the taste, smell and texture so I'm clearly not looking for something that replicates these :ph34r:
I never much liked anything gamey like venison

Top Bottom