Mech Disk Brake Hell (My fault)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Recycled 90s GT Aggressor 3 Mech Disk brake - front on applying full force at the brake lever - one very loud Click/Clunk at the end of the pull = no brakes (Scary) - a recurring theme unless I get the local bike shop to fix

Tried new cable new pads - I know it’s me as I’m a hopeless amateur mechanic 😉 but it’s infuriating to be so useless 🤣🤣🤣 -anyone pls put me out of my misery and explain what I’m doing wrong / fix

Any help much appreciated thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Poor cable routing, resulting in sag in the cable run, so its actually not taught ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds more like the brake caliper is passing the end of the cam (or whatever mechanism it has) before sufficient clamping force is being generated?

Any clues as to what make/model of caliper it is?

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Sounds more like the brake caliper is passing the end of the cam (or whatever mechanism it has) before sufficient clamping force is being generated?

Any clues as to what make/model of caliper it is?

Attachments

• BF3BDFF8-7C55-42EC-BB26-B83ADC7964FD.jpeg
    BF3BDFF8-7C55-42EC-BB26-B83ADC7964FD.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
  • F2C37451-CE09-4D87-AC59-4A5545143B0B.jpeg
    F2C37451-CE09-4D87-AC59-4A5545143B0B.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Here’s the front image - your description of what’s happening sounds spot on ? Can I repair it DIY or is it a new part or a cycle shop repair

Once again thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Remove cable and screw in the adjustable pad until the disc is almost held solid. Now pull the actuation arm by hand and see if it is tight or moves easily. This establishes if the caliper is functional. If the caliper checks out then it is just your set up that is at fault.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Fwiw I had Tektro Lyras on my Boardman CX - they are crap by any measure, setup & pads made very little difference. Swapped them for a set of Avid BB7s (about £30 s/h off Ebay) and the difference is night & day.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Remove cable and screw in the adjustable pad until the disc is almost held solid. Now pull the actuation arm by hand and see if it is tight or moves easily. This establishes if the caliper is functional. If the caliper checks out then it is just your set up that is at fault.

Ok thanks I’ll give that a go I’m guessing it will be my set up 🤣😉

Attachments

• 7C41A61A-06DB-4C93-98D0-D6457589C5BC.jpeg
    7C41A61A-06DB-4C93-98D0-D6457589C5BC.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2

Gunk

Guru
I hate cable disc brakes, I’ve never been able to set them up properly, a decent set of Canti’s are better and much more reliable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hate cable disc brakes, I’ve never been able to set them up properly, a decent set of Canti’s are better and much more reliable.
I bought a bike with cable disc brakes last year and was very disappointed with the braking power on my first descent - I struggled to stop before a junction at the bottom of the hill! :eek:

Then get some one who can set them up properly as once properly set they won't give you any problems, work very well and are very reliable.
I headed off to YouTube and found some helpful videos explaining how to set the brakes up properly. I followed the instructions and the brakes work really well now.

Top Bottom