Mech hanger and chain link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My chain split and got stuck in my rear mech causing it to jam and snap the hanger, bugger.

I know my chain is 10 speed and <100 miles so I just want a chain link, but how do I know which will fit.

Same for hanger, how do I know which to buy. Wiggle have 1 hanger for 'various' genesis bikes but it doesn't look like mine.

Bike is Genesis Mantle 20, mech hanger is the original.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220922_184001.jpg
    20220922_184001.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1

si_c

Guru
Might be worth a quick email to Genesis about the Hanger, they should be able to advise precisely which one will be appropriate.

For the chain link, any 10 speed chain link will be OK. I tend to use either KMC or Clarks links depending on which is available locally. The latter you can usually get in Halfords.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Might be worth a quick email to Genesis about the Hanger, they should be able to advise precisely which one will be appropriate.

For the chain link, any 10 speed chain link will be OK. I tend to use either KMC or Clarks links depending on which is available locally. The latter you can usually get in Halfords.

Cheers I'll do that, it is the original hanger so if I can find details online first it'll save me an email.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If the chain has failed then I might be considering a new chain.

agree, despite it being new, it may be defective. where did it split - was it a pin that failed or an outer plate?

you do occasionally get a duff chain.

EDIT Oh and if you reuse chain check for twists / damage on adjoining links to the one that failed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
If the chain has failed then I might be considering a new chain. Depending on age and wear*. But any 10S split link should do.

This hanger looks similar, but similar may not be good enough

https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m4b0s105p2177/GENESIS-Core-Gear-Hanger

* Edit- it's less than 100 miles. I missed that in the OP. But all the same I'd have a good look at it.

Thats pretty much an exact match thanks. £9 P&P though - ouch! That'll teach me to be more careful when changing gears.

agree, despite it being new, it may be defective. where did it split - was it a pin that failed or an outer plate?

you do occasionally get a duff chain.

EDIT Oh and if you reuse chain check for twists / damage on adjoining links to the one that failed.

I'm pretty certain the chain is fine and it was rider error - I was too hasty changing gears and put pressure on the chain and bent it. It actually didnt break on the bike just twisted out of shape then the mishapen link got trapped in the rear derailler and jammed.

All parts ordered now, hopefully all here by end of next week and I can fix it. Thanks All :okay:

Top Bottom