Mech hanger and chain link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Or at least, when you do break it you will be unable to find the spare.

I've just moved house, I have no idea where anything is lol😄

si_c

Guru
Or at least, when you do break it you will be unable to find the spare.

I keep my spare derailleur hanger in the saddlebag on the back of the bike. Each bike has it's own saddlebag and toolkit (I know I know, unneccessary, but it means I can grab any bike and know I'm not missing anything).

Having the hanger in the saddlebag also means that if it breaks on a ride then at least I will have a change of being able to fix the problem and have some shifting. I was on a forum ride (Scarborough IIRC) a few years ago when it happened to someone so not that uncommon a problem.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It's not clear to me exactly what happened here, but changing gear at the rear under load should not have any adverse consequences.

If it were me there's no way I'd do anything other than replace the chain unless I knew exactly what happened and why. Chains are cheap, and forces involved in snapping the hanger may also have damaged other chain links.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I keep my spare derailleur hanger in the saddlebag on the back of the bike. Each bike has it's own saddlebag and toolkit (I know I know, unneccessary, but it means I can grab any bike and know I'm not missing anything).

Having the hanger in the saddlebag also means that if it breaks on a ride then at least I will have a change of being able to fix the problem and have some shifting. I was on a forum ride (Scarborough IIRC) a few years ago when it happened to someone so not that uncommon a problem.

I actually took the chance to order a new saddlebag when I did the chain link, I should be able to carry more tools with me if this happened again now.

It's not clear to me exactly what happened here, but changing gear at the rear under load should not have any adverse consequences.

If it were me there's no way I'd do anything other than replace the chain unless I knew exactly what happened and why. Chains are cheap, and forces involved in snapping the hanger may also have damaged other chain links.

It's not clear to me either to be fair, itwas up a steep hill and I was out of the saddle so the load was heavier. I agree though it shouldn't have happened, but it did 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom