Mechanical brakes for wide tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
According to what is advertised, the bike's frame is designed as to allow any type of brake. And to allow two tyre widths (with 62 mm as widest). And that one can exchange these 2 widths of tyres/wheels on that same frame, with brakes "conversion" along 2 instead of 1 mounts. And that all 3 (hydraulic cilinders on rim, cable V-brakes on rim, and disc) braking systems can be mounted
It's then somehow surprising that the frame lacks holes for the spring backings of V-brakes.
And I also wonder what the dealer have had in mind with those parts that would convert a round mount - a mount that does not block a circular movement around its axis, to one that does. He ordered these from the bikes producer, received them, and they sat in the ready-box containing also the V-brakes parts, only that it was unclear to even imagine how these would act as support for the springs-so blocking that circular movement / turning 'round.

This is a freehand-drawing of those parts, there were about 5-6 in the box.
A big hole, ment to shift over the mounting pen that screws into the frame, then a very small hole (the black dot) ment to shift the springs' end in, as backing against rotation.
But the big hole is round, just like the mounting pen itself, so how could it hold the spring then? To stop that, the "water drop"-alike shape, the upper, sharper part of it, should be rotated so that it leans against something on the frame or wherever. But what? The biggest dimension was like a couple cm's, and as far as we (me and dealer) could see, there was nothing close enough. But the bikes producer sent these parts as solution, so they must have had something in mind.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry I'm now having a complete whoosh moment I'm out of my depth I can't envisage what you're now referring to

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
... and more generally, I'm happy with the simplicity of the bike, that was my very goal, the less parts, the simpler they are, the least that can fail and the easiest the repair/maintenance. I find a mechanical rim brake the simplest. You open them without tools and just let the springs pushing the pads away, unlike even the quickrelease-style side of my current hydraulic brakes, where the handle is easy to push, but you also have to shift the module with the cilinder back off the pen, with little room avail, and back on, quite some fiddling due to pens that have to be lined up in holes.

But unless that V-brakes springs mounting hole backing gets solved, the hydraulic system can't be dumped for a mechanical one, with a possible (still have to try) quickrelease handles on both sides of the wheel as trade off solution, being that I can at least take a wheel out without having to deflate/reinflate the tyre each time.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Sorry I'm now having a complete whoosh moment I'm out of my depth I can't envisage what you're now referring to
See that picture I attached?
That's a freehand drawing I just made, of the part that should have been the solution to give a spring of a V brakes system a mounting point, as to have a backing to push a brake pad away from a rim when not braking.
In case of hydraulic brakes, such a mount point is not needed since hydraulic brakes work along a cilinder that pushes the brake pad towards the rim - the cilinders 'spring sitting perpendicular on the brakes mounting pen axis - unlike with V-brakes, where the spring has to act in the same plane as the mounting pen screwing-in/out frame hole thread.

Excuse me for any unclear wording - English is not my native language.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
I tried today to convert the right side of the rear Magura hydraulic brake to quickrelease. Failed, the quickrelease handle wasn't turnable in the required direction, and after some searching around on the web I discovered that a right and left version existed, and apparently I was given the wrong one (so the same as the one present on the left side).
So attempt stalled, and solution at least a week ahead, due to dealer vacation. Another week riding without rear brakes, because I don't want that mess to remove a wheel back.

Top Bottom