Mechanical doping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think the idea was that officials could easily examine all bikes while they were being ridden using cameras at the roadside and/or mounted on official motorbikes. It could make 'mechanical doping' almost impossible to get away with.
That's how I thought it could work. Excessive heat from BB or wheels, straight for investigation after the race/stage/bike change.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes.

It looks a bit like a perpetual motion machine to me, but I'd have to see it in English, with a bit more info. To make a motor work (and that's what it is) you'll end up with weight in the form of either heavy magnets or heavy batteries or both.

Edit. I see cycling weekly share my scepticism: "There is not attempt to explain the location of the magnets either, just that wire is in the wheel rim. If GCSE physics taught us anything, it is that electromagnetic induction requires magnets (the clue is in the name).

Perhaps this system requires an accomplice (Wile E Cayote) to sit at the top of Alpe D’Huez with a huge horseshoe shaped magnet pulling you up from the bottom."

btw the spelling in the above is CW's, not mine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think the idea was that officials could easily examine all bikes while they were being ridden using cameras at the roadside and/or mounted on official motorbikes. It could make 'mechanical doping' almost impossible to get away with.

But I am not sure it is possible to check all the bikes all the time, it seems these devices are used for just a couple of minutes a couple of times in a race at maximum. I am fairly sure a rider would spot someone coming close to them with a thermal imaging gun and just not trigger it then.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ooh look, thermal imaging iPhones!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAR7gQke7MKrViS-BTX_op5sbpKD11brAWrd4x1d2RCUekOn3H0A.jpg

(Hot wheels)

400bhp

Guru
What about some kind of blocker material on the seat tube - say a cross section of a particular mix that could be scanned easily by a detector. If removed or tampered with it would be detected?

Easier to police mechanical doping at the top level than at the lower level in my view.

I bet there's a few saddo's in the amateur scene been doing this for a while.:rolleyes:

aj101

European U23 champion and one of the pre-race favourites for the world title is hardly 'bottom of the pile' ffs....
It is. in terms of budget and prize money, its very different to say a Katusha GC contender getting caught in a mountain stage. Also, there was some talk as to the women's races being run before the mens, and it being a dry run before a similar bike used later mens event. Conjecture yes but it highlights the possibilities.

Always think back to USPS/Discovery/Radioshack team getting a positive a few years back. Who was it? Lance, the biggest doper of them all? No way, they picked Li Fuyu.

Citius

It is. in terms of budget and prize money, its very different to say a Katusha GC contender getting caught in a mountain stage. Also, there was some talk as to the women's races being run before the mens, and it being a dry run before a similar bike used later mens event. Conjecture yes but it highlights the possibilities.

Always think back to USPS/Discovery/Radioshack team getting a positive a few years back. Who was it? Lance, the biggest doper of them all? No way, they picked Li Fuyu.

Sorry, but that's absurd. Calling the European champ and pre-race fave 'bottom of the pile' is just idiotic. You're confusing cyclocross with road racing. Not sure what any of that other stuff has to do with it.

U

User33236

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
No admission or apology, however. She seems to be claiming that she could not defend herself rather than saying she acknowledges her guilt.

U

User33236

I see it as a jump before you get pushed step so not surprising she hasn't acknowledged guilt.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rules is rules, but it's a shame to see the promising career of a 19-year-old rider destroyed for one transgression.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Of course, it's open season on her now.

But saying she may have cheated more than once and not been caught on those occasions is the same as saying other riders have cheated and not been caught.

Pure speculation.

Top Bottom